Tolerance of spring barley cultivars to leaf rust, Puccinia hordei
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Fifteen spring barley cultivars were evaluated in two years for their tolerance to leaf rust, Puccinia hordei. The consistency between the results obtained in the two experiments was rather poor. The most tolerant cultivars produced low seed yields, the least tolerant ones high seed yields. A strongly negative relationship existed between harves-index and tolerance.
- Ben-Kalio, V. D. & D. D. Clarke, 1979. Studies on tolerance in wild plants: effects of Erisiphe fischeri on the growth and development of Senecio vulgaris. Phys. Plant Path. 14: 203–211.
- Biscoe, P. V., R. K. Scott & J. L. Monteith, 1975. Barley and its environment. III. Carbon budget of stand. J. appl. Ecol. 12: 269–293.
- Caldwell, R. H., J. F. Schaffer, L. E. Compton & F. L. Patterson 1958. Tolerance to cereal leaf rusts. Science 128: 714–715.
- Calpouzos, L., A. P. Roelfs, M. E. Madson, F. B. Martin, J. R. Welsh & R. D. Wilcoxson, 1976. A new model to measure yield losses caused by stem rust in spring wheat. Techn. Bull. 307. Agric. Exp. St., Univ. of Minnesota.
- Evans, L. T. & J. F. Wardlaw, 1978. Aspects of the comparative physiology of grain yield in cereals. Adv. Agron. 28, 301–359.
- James, W. C., 1971. An illustrated series of assessment keys for plant diseases, their preparation and usage. Can. Pl. Dis. Surv. 51 (2), 39–65.
- Michael, G., H. Seiler-Kelbitsch & H. Wagner, 1973. In: Breeding and productivity of barley. pp. 397–412. Inst. Cereal Crops, Kromeriz.
- Parlevliet, J. E., 1980. Disease resistance in plants and its consequences for breeding. In: K. Frey (Ed), Proc. Plant Breeding Symp. II, Ames, Iowa, 12–16 March 1979.
- Sokal, R. R. & F. J. Rohlf, 1969. Biometry, the principles and practice of statistics in biological research. W. H. Freeman & Company, San Francisco, pp. 448–458.
- Tolerance of spring barley cultivars to leaf rust, Puccinia hordei
Volume 29, Issue 2 , pp 209-216
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Hordeum vulgare
- Puccinia hordei
- leaf rust
- brown rust
- Industry Sectors