Influx and efflux of amino acids from Zea mays L. roots and their implications for N nutrition and the rhizosphere
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The aim of the study was to investigate the ability of Zea mays L. roots to regulate the amount of free amino acids present in the rhizosphere. The active uptake of amino acids was shown to conform to Michaelis-Menten kinetics. Comparison of amino acid-N and NO3-N kinetic parameters and soil solution concentrations showed that root uptake of free amino acids from soil may contribute significantly to a plant's N budget. The influx of amino acids also helps to minimize net C/N losses to the soil, and is therefore important in regulating the size of the rhizosphere microbial population. Experimental data and a computer simulation model of amino acid influx/efflux in a sterile solution culture, showed that roots were capable of re-sorping over 90% of the amino acids previously lost into solution as a result of passive diffusion.
- Barber, S (1984) Soil nutrient bioavailability: A Mechanistic approach. Wiley-Interscience, New York
- Chaplin, F S, Moilanen, L, Kielland, K (1993) Nature 361: pp. 150-153 CrossRef
- Darrah, P R (1991) J. Soil. Sci. 42: pp. 421-436
- Dashman, T, Stotsky, G (1986) Soil Biol. Biochem. 18: pp. 5-14 CrossRef
- Ghosh, S K, Mukhopadhyay, A K, Saha, D (1990) Soil Biol. Biochem. 22: pp. 327-330 CrossRef
- Guckert A, Chavanon M, Mench M, Morel M and Villemin G 1991 In Plant Roots and Their Environment. Eds. B L McMichael and H Persson. pp 449–455. Elsevier Science Publishers B.V.
- Jones, D L, Darrah, P R (1992) Plant and Soil 143: pp. 259-266
- Jones D L and Darrah P R 1993a Plant and Soil in press.
- Jones D L and Darrah P R 1993b Plant Physiol. submitted.
- Jones D L and Darrah P R 1993c Plant and Soil. submitted.
- Kraffczyk, I, Trolldeiner, G, Beringer, H (1984) Soil Biol. Biochem. 16: pp. 315-322 CrossRef
- Moore, S, Stein, W H (1948) J. Biol. Chem. 176: pp. 367-388
- Monreal, , McGill, (1985) Soil Biol. Biochem. 4: pp. 533-539 CrossRef
- Sorensen, L H (1975) Soil Biol. Biochem. 7: pp. 171-177
- Uren, N C, Reisenauer, H M (1988) Adv. Plant Nut. 3: pp. 79-114
- Influx and efflux of amino acids from Zea mays L. roots and their implications for N nutrition and the rhizosphere
Plant and Soil
Volume 155-156, Issue 1 , pp 87-90
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- amino acids
- root exudates
- Industry Sectors