Genetic variation for resistance to Fusarium head blight in bread wheat
- C. H. A. Snijders
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
During a four year period, a total of 258 winter and spring wheat genotypes were evaluated for resistance to head blight after inoculation with Fusarium culmorum strain IPO 39-01. It was concluded that genetic variation for resistance is very large. Spring wheat genotypes which had been reported to be resistant to head blight caused by Fusarium graminearum were also resistant to F. culmorum. The resistant germplasm was divided into three gene pools: winter wheats from Eastern Europe, spring wheats from China/Japan and spring wheats from Brazil. In 32 winter wheat genotypes in 1987, and 54 winter wheat genotypes in 1989, the percentage yield reduction depended on the square root of percentage head blight with an average regression coefficient of 6.6. Heritability estimates indicated that for selection for Fusarium head blight resistance, visually assessed head blight was a better selection criterion than yield reduction.
- Anonymous, 1989. Workshop on Fusarium head blight and related mycotoxins. March 30–31, 1989, Ciudad Obregon, Mexico. CIMMYT, Mexico, D.F., Mexico. 22 pp.
- Mesterhazy, A. (1987) Selection of head blight resistant wheats through improved seedling resistance. Plant Breeding 98: pp. 25-36
- Mesterhazy, A. (1987) Expression of resistance of wheat to Fusarium graminearum and F. culmorum under various experimental conditions. J. Phytopathology 123: pp. 304-310
- Mielke, H., 1988. Untersuchungen über Fusarium culmorum (W.G. Sm.) Sacc. als Fuss- und Ährenkrankheitserreger beim Weizen. Mitteilungen aus der Biologischen Bundesanstalt für Land- und Forstwirtschaft Berlin-Dahlem 238. 101 pp.
- Parry, D.W., Bayles, R.A., Priestley, R.H. (1984) Resistance of winter wheat varieties to ear blight (Fusarium culmorum). J. Natn. Inst. Agric. Bot. 16: pp. 465-468
- Rapilly, F., J.M. Lemaire & R. Cassini, 1971. Les principales maladies cryptogamiques des céréales. INRA. 189 pp.
- Schroeder, H.W., Christensen, J.J. (1963) Factors affecting resistance of wheat to scab caused by Gibberella zeae. Phytopathology 53: pp. 831-838
- Snijders, C.H.A., 1990a. Fusarium head blight and mycotoxin contamination of wheat, a review. Neth. J. Plant Path., in press.
- Snijders, C.H.A. (1990) Response to selection in F2 generations of winter wheat for resistance to head blight caused by Fusarium culmorum. Euphytica 50: pp. 163-169
- Snijders, C.H.A., 1990c. Aspects of resistance to Fusarium head blight caused by Fusarium culmorum in wheat. PhD.-thesis. Agricultural University Wageningen, 115 pp.
- Snijders, C.H.A. & F.A. Van Eeuwijk, 1990. Genotype × strain interactions for resistance to Fusarium head blight caused by Fusarium culmorum in winter wheat. Theor. Appl. Genet., in press.
- Snijders, C.H.A. & J. Perkowski, 1990. Effects of head blight caused by Fusarium culmorum on toxin content and weight of wheat kernels. Phytopathology, in press.
- Steel, R.G.D. & J.H. Torrie, 1981. Principles and procedures of statistics. A biometrical approach. McGraw-Hill International Editions. 633 pp.
- Wang, Y.Z., Miller, J.D. (1987) Screening techniques and sources of resistance to Fusarium head blight. Wheat production constraints in tropical environments. CIMMYT, Mexico, D.F., pp. 239-250
- Genetic variation for resistance to Fusarium head blight in bread wheat
Volume 50, Issue 2 , pp 171-179
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Triticum aestivum
- bread wheat
- Fusarium culmorum
- Fusarium head blight
- genetic variation
- yield reduction
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Centre for Plant Breeding Research (CPO), P.O. Box 16, 6700 AA, Wageningen, The Netherlands