First data on rabbit dung as a water fertilizer in tropical fish culture and its effect on the growth of Oreochromis niloticus (Teleostei, Cichlidae)
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The influence of rabbit dung on water quality, plankton occurrence and Nile tilapia growth (Oreochromis niloticus) was studied. pH and total alkalinity increased, dissolved oxygen concentration decreased but not below the critical level whilst the nitrogen parameters were not affected in a significant way. An important increase of plankton was recorded and was reflected in a decrease of transparency: the phytoplankton density was 2.7 times that of the controls. Tilapia growth rate in the manure treatments was 5.1 times that of the control group; no significant difference in survival rates was observed.
- Balarin, J. D. & J. P. Hatton, 1979. Tilapia: A Guide to their Biology and Culture in Africa. University of Stirling, Stirling, 174 pp.
- Boyd, C. E., 1979. Water Quality in Warmwater Fish Ponds. Auburn University, Auburn, 359 pp.
- Buck, D. H., R. J. Baur & C. R. Rose, 1978. Utilization of swine manure in a polyculture of Asian and North American fishes. Trans. am. Fish. Soc. 107: 216–222. CrossRef
- Delincé, G., 1992. The ecology of the fish pond ecosystem: with special reference to Africa. Dev. Hydrobiol. 72: 230 pp.
- Diana, J. S., C. K. Lin & P. J. Schneeberger, 1991. Relationships among nutrient inputs, water nutrient concentrations, primary production, and yield of Oreochromis niloticus in ponds. Aquaculture 92: 323–341. CrossRef
- Green, W., R. P. Phelps & H. Alvarenga, 1989. The effect of manures and chemical fertilizers on the production of Orechromis niloticus in earthen ponds. Aquaculture 76: 37–42. CrossRef
- Hepher, B. & Y. Pruginin, 1981. Commercial fish culture with special reference to fish culture in Israel. John Wiley, New York.
- Hogendoorn, H. & W. J. Koops, 1983. Growth and production of the African catfish Clarias lazera (C.V.). I. Effects of stocking density, pond size and mixed culture with tilapia (Sarotherodon niloticus L.) under extensive field conditions. Aquaculture 34: 253–263. CrossRef
- Hutchinson, G. E., 1967. A treatise on limnology. Vol. II. Introduction to lake biology and the limnoplankton. John Wiley, New York.
- Lovshin, L. L., A. B. da Silva & J. A. Fernandes, 1974. The intensive culture of all male hybrid of Tilapia hornorum (male) × Tilapia nilotica (female) in Northeast Brazil. Paper CARPAS/G/74/SE 22, F.A.O. Aquaculture Conference for Latin America, Montevideo, Uruguay, 26 Nov.–2 Dec. 1974, 18 pp.
- Miller, J. W., 1975. Fertilization and feeding practices in warm-water pondfish culture in Africa. Paper CIFA/75/CR 4, F.A.O./C.I.F.A. Symposium on Aquaculture in Africa, Accra, Ghana, 30 Sept.–6 Oct. 1975, 29 pp.
- Milstein, A., G. Hulata & G. W. Wohlfarth, 1988. Canonical correlation analysis of relationships between management inputs and fish growth and yields in polyculture. Aquacult. Fish. Mgmt. 19: 13–24.
- Msiska, O. V., 1981. Qualtity and nutrient release of poultry manure immersed in water. J. limnol. Soc. S. Afr. 7: 59–62.
- Ombredane, D., V. Pouomogne, Y. Gavel & K. F. Kouadio, 1990. Les tilapias (Pisces, Cichlidae): étude monographique. Publications du département d'Halieutique Ensa de Rennes 13, 38 pp.
- Pouomogne, V., 1993. Growth response of Nile tilapia to cow manure and supplemental feed in earthen ponds. Revue Hydrobiol. trop. 26: 153–160.
- Schaperclaus, W., 1962. Traité de pisciculture en étang. Viget Frères, Paris, 620 pp.
- Schroeder, G. L., 1978. Autotrophic and heterotrophic production of microorganisms in intensively manured fish ponds, and related fish yields. Aquaculture 14: 303–325. CrossRef
- Schroeder, G. & D. H. Buck, 1987. Estimates of the relative contributions of organic and mineral contents of manure to fish growth. J. Aquacult. Trop. 2: 133–138.
- Teichert-Coddington, D. R., L. L. Behrends & R. O. Smitherman, 1990. Effects of manuring regime and stocking rate on primary production and yield of tilapia using liquid swine manure. Aquaculture 88: 61–68. CrossRef
- Verheust, L., E. Rurangwa & K. L. Veverica, 1990. Oreochromis niloticus culture in Rwanda: Optimal density and feeding ratio in earthen ponds. Unpublished report, 2 pp.
- Weigel, C., 1993. Fertilisations organiques. Pour raccourcir la chaine alimentaire. Aqua Rev. 51: 16–23.
- Wohlfarth, G. H. & G. H. Hulata, 1983. Applied genetics of tilapias. ICLARM Stud. Rev. 6: 1–26.
- Wohlfarth, G. W. & G. L. Schroeder, 1979. Use of manures in fish farming — a review. Agric. Wastes 1: 279–299. CrossRef
- Zhu, Y., Y. Yang, J. Wan, D. Hua & J. A. Mathia, 1990. The effect of manure application rate and frequency upon fish yield in integrated fish farm ponds. Aquaculture 91: 233–251. CrossRef
- Zweig, R. D., 1989. Evolving water quality in a common carp and blue tilapia high production pond. Hydrobiologia 171: 11–21.
- First data on rabbit dung as a water fertilizer in tropical fish culture and its effect on the growth of Oreochromis niloticus (Teleostei, Cichlidae)
Volume 321, Issue 2 , pp 101-107
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- rabbit dung
- water quality
- Nile tilapia growth
- fish culture
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. K.U. Leuven, Lab. of Ecology and Aquaculture, 3000, Leuven, Belgium
- 2. Institut de Recherches Zootechniques et Vétérinaires, Foumban, Cameroon
- 3. Musée Royal de l'Afrique Centrale, Lab. d'Ichtyologie, 3080, Tervuren, Belgium
- 4. K.U. Leuven, Lab. of Morphology and Systematics of Plants, 3000, Leuven, Belgium