Fasciation in chickpea: genetics and evaluation
- E. J. Knights
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A spontaneous fasciated mutant was detected in the chickpea cv. Amethyst. It was characterised by broad, strap-like stems, irregular leaf arrangement and clustering of pods towards the stem apices. F2 and F3 segregations showed that fasciation was controlled by a single, recessive gene for which the symbol fas is proposed. Field trials comparing the fasciated mutant with its non-fasciated isoline showed that fasciation was associated with lower yield, larger seeds, delayed flowering and increased lodging.
- Albertsen, M.C., T.M.Curry, R.G.Palmer & C.E.Lamotte, 1983. Genetics and comparative growth morphology of fasciation in soybeans (Glycine max [L.] Merr.). Bot. Gaz. 144: 263–275.
- Bandel, G. & W.Gottschalk, 1978. Recombinants from crosses between fasciated and non-fasciated pea mutants II. Late flowering recombinants. Z. Pflanzenzüchtg. 81: 60–76.
- Gleeson, A.C. & B.R.Cullis, 1987. Residual maximum likelihood (REML) estimation of a neighbour model for field experiments. Biometrics 43: 277–288.
- Gottschalk, W., 1977. Fasciated peas-unusual mutants for breeding and research. J. Nuclear Agric. Biol. 6: 27–33.
- McCullagh, P. & J.A.Nelder, 1983. Generalised Linear Models. Chapman and Hall Publishers, London.
- Muehlbauer, F.J. & K.B.Singh, 1987. Genetics of Chickpea. p. 99–126. In: M.C.Saxena & K.B.Singh (Eds) The Chickpea. C.A.B. International, Wallingford.
- Saxena, M.C., 1989. Problems and potential of chickpea production in the nineties. In: H.A. van Rheenen & M.C. Saxena (Eds). Chickpea in the Nineties: Proceedings of the Second International Workshop on Chickpea Improvement, pp. 13–25.
- Sinha, S.C., J.K.Saxena & R.Lakhan, 1976. Note on the breeding behaviour of a fasciated mutant in Cajanus cajan. Ind. J. Agric. Res. 10: 203–204.
- Fasciation in chickpea: genetics and evaluation
Volume 69, Issue 3 , pp 163-166
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Cicer arietinum
- Industry Sectors
- E. J. Knights (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. NSW Agriculture, Agricultural Research Centre, RMB 944, 2340, Tamworth, NSW, Australia