Isolation of cDNA clones of genes induced upon transfer of Chlamydomonas reinhardtii cells to low CO2
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Unicellular algae grow well under limiting CO2 conditions, aided by a carbon concentrating mechanism (CCM). In C. reinhardtii, this mechanism is inducible and is present only in cells grown under low CO2 conditions. We constructed a cDNA library from cells adapting to low CO2, and screened the library for cDNAs specific to low CO2-adapting cells. Six classes of low CO2-inducible clones were identified. One class of clone, reported here, represents a novel gene associated with adaptation of cells to air. A second class of clones corresponds to the air-inducible periplasmic carbonic anhydrase I (CAH1). These clones represent genes that respond to the level of CO2 in the environment.
- Badger MR, Kaplan A, Berry JA: Internal inorganic carbon pool of Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Evidence for a carbon dioxide-concentrating mechanism. Plant Physiol 66: 407–413 (1980).
- Chen Z-Y, Burow MD, Mason CB, Moroney JV: A low CO2 inducible gene encoding an alanine aminotransferase in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Plant Physiol (submitted).
- Coleman JR, Grossman AR: Biosynthesis of carbonic anhydrase in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii during adaptation to low CO2. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 81: 6049–6053 (1984).
- Dorit RL, Ohara O, and Gilbert W: One-sided anchored polymerase chain reaction for amplification and sequencing of complementary DNA. Meth Enzymol 218: 36–47 (1993).
- Frohman MA: RACE: Rapid amplification of cDNA ends. In: Innis MA et al. (eds) PCR Protocols: A Guide to Methods and Applications, pp. 28–38. Academic Press, San Diego, CA (1990).
- Fujiwara S, Fukuzawa H, Tachiki A, Miyachi S: Structure and differential expression of two genes encoding carbonic anhydrase in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 87: 9779–9783 (1990).
- Fukuzawa H, Fujiwara S, Yamamoto Y, Dionisio-Sese ML, Miyachi S: cDNA cloning, sequence, and expression of carbonic anhydrase in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii: regulation by environmental CO2 concentration. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 87: 4383–4387 (1990).
- Geragthy AM, Anderson JC, Spalding MH: A 36 kilodalton limiting-CO2 induced polypeptide of Chlamydomonas is distinct from the 37 kilodalton periplasmic carbonic anhydrase. Plant Physiol 93: 116–121 (1990).
- Kindle KL: High-frequency nuclear transformation of Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 87: 1228–1232 (1990).
- Manuel LJ, Moroney JV: Inorganic carbon accumulation by Chlamydomonas reinhardtii: new proteins are made during adaptation to low CO2. Plant Physiol 88: 491–496 (1988).
- Marek LF, Spalding MH: Changes in photorespiratory enzyme activity in response to limiting CO2 in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Plant Physiol 97: 420–425 (1991).
- Moroney JV, Husic HD, Tolbert NE, Kitayama M, Manuel LJ, Togasaki RK: Isolation and characterization of a mutant of Chlamydomonas reinhardtii deficient in the CO2 concentrating mechanism. Plant Physiol 89: 897–903 (1989).
- Moroney JV, Tolbert NE, Sears BB: Complementation analysis of the inorganic carbon concentrating mechanism of Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Mol Gen Genet 204: 199–203 (1986).
- Moroney JV, Mason CB: The role of the chloroplast in inorganic carbon acquisition by Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Can J Bot 69: 1017–1024 (1991).
- Ramazanov Z, Mason CB, Geraghty AM, Spalding MH, Moroney JV: The low CO2-inducible 36-kilodalton protein is localized to the chloroplast envelope of Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Plant Physiol 101: 1195–1199 (1993).
- Ramazanov Z, Rawat M, Henk MC, Mason CB, Matthews SW, Moroney JV: The induction of the CO2-concentrating mechanism is correlated with the formation of the starch sheath around the pyrenoid of Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Planta 195: 210–216 (1994).
- Sen P, Murai N: Oligolabeling DNA probes to high specific activity with sequenase. Plant Mol Biol Rep 9: 127–130 (1991).
- Spalding MH, PortisJr AR: A model of carbon dioxide assimilation in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Planta 164: 308–320 (1985).
- Isolation of cDNA clones of genes induced upon transfer of Chlamydomonas reinhardtii cells to low CO2
Plant Molecular Biology
Volume 31, Issue 2 , pp 443-448
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- carbonic anhydrase
- CO2 concentrating mechanism
- gene regulation by CO2
- Industry Sectors