Stability analysis over seasons and locations of multilines of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Three multilines each of Kalyansona and PV 18 varieties of wheat were compared for their stability of yield and agronomic characters and disease resistance against the respective recurrent parents. The experiments were conducted for four years at nine locations.
The multilines had more tillers and bolder seeds than the recurrent parents. There were, however, no differences for plant height, ear length and number of spikelets per spike.
The genotypes x years x locations interaction was much more important than genotypes x years or genotypes x locations interaction as well as the main effects for genotypes. It is suggested that the number of test locations should be increased while decreasing the number of years.
The stability parameters indicated that the multilines had a higher mean yield in the case of Kalyansona multilines whereas the yield of multilines of PV 18 was not significantly inferior to that of the recurrent parent. The regression coefficients were very close to unity except for KSML 3 (b=1.132). The deviations from regression were much larger for the multilines than for the recurrent parents.
For rust resistance the multilines were superior over the varieties Kalyansona and PV 18.
- Bains, K. S., Gupta, V. P. (1974) Component compensation for stability of yield in bread wheat. Crop Improvement 1: pp. 36-42
- Borlaug, N. E., 1958. The use of multiline or composite varieties to control air-borne epidemic diseases of self-pollinated crop plants. Proc. Ist Intern. Wheat Genetics Symp. Winnpeg, Canada, p. 12–27.
- Eberhart, S. A., Russell, W. A. (1966) Stability parameters for comparing varieties. Crop Science 6: pp. 34-40
- Frey, K. J., Maldonado, U. (1967) Relative productivity of homogenous and heterogenous oat cultivars in optimum and sub-optimum environments. Crop Science 7: pp. 532-535
- Frey, K. J., Browning, J. A., Simons, M. D. (1973) Management of host resistance genes to control diseases. Z.f.Pflanzenkrankheiten und Pflanzenschutz 80: pp. 160-180
- Frey, K. J., Browning, J., Simons, M. D. (1975) Multiline cultivars of autogamous crop plants. SABRAO J 7: pp. 113-123
- Frey, K. J. (1972) Stability indices for oats. Crop Science 12: pp. 809-812
- Gandhi, S. M., Nathawat, K. S., Bhatnagar, V. K. (1964) Variety x environment interaction in wheat under late sowing. Indian J. Genet. 24: pp. 223-226
- Gill, K. S., Nanda, G. S., Singh, G. (1975) Studies on multilines in wheat. 2. Stability of Kalyansona and PV-18 cultivars. Crop Improvement 2: pp. 8-16
- Gill, K. S., Aujla, S. S., Sharma, Y. R., Nanda, G. S., Singh, G. (1977) Studies on multilines in wheat. 7. Seedling and adult plant reaction of components and multilines of Kalyansona and PV-18 against yellow rust. Cereal Research Communication 6: pp. 167-173
- Gill, K. S., Nanda, G. S., Aujla, S. S., Singh, G., Sharma, Y. R. (1977) Studies on multilines in wheat (T. aestivum). 6. Seedling and adult plant reaction of components of Kalyansona and PV-18 multilines against brown rust. Crop Improvement 4: pp. 152-157
- Johnson, V. S., Shafer, S. L., Schmidt, J. W. (1968) Regression analysis of general adaption in Hard Red Winter Wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Crop Science 8: pp. 187-191
- Jensen, N. F., Kent, G. C. (1963) New Approach to an old problem in oat production. Farm Research 29: pp. 4-5
- Leonard, K. J. (1969) Genetic equilibria in host-pathogen systems. Phytopathology 59: pp. 1858-1863
- Luthra, O. P., Singh, R. K. (1974) A comparison of different stability models in wheat. Theoret. Appl. Gen. 45: pp. 143-149
- Luthra, O. P., Kakar, S. N., Singh, R. K. (1976) Genotype environment interaction and ranking of varieties in wheat. Proc. 3rd Intern. Congress SABRAO 3: pp. 22-25
- Nanda, G. S., 1975. Diseases of wheat: Breeding approaches and materials. Proc. Summer Institutes on Breeding for disease resistance and for nutritional quality held at the Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana from June 16 to July 11, 1975.
- Rao, N. G. P., Harinaryana, G. (1968) Phenotypic stability of hybrids and varieties in grain sorghum. Current Science 38: pp. 97-98
- Rao, N. G. P. (1970) Genotype x environment interaction in grain sorghum hybrids. Indian J. Genet. 30: pp. 75-80
- Rasmussan, D. C. (1968) Yield and stability of yield in barley. Crop Science 8: pp. 600-602
- Schutz, W. M., Bernard, R. L. (1967) Genotype x environment interactions in regional testing of soybeans. Crop Science 7: pp. 125-153
- Suneson, C. A. (1960) Genetic diversity: A protection against plant diseases and insects. Agron. J. 52: pp. 319-321
- Stability analysis over seasons and locations of multilines of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.)
Volume 33, Issue 2 , pp 489-495
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Triticum aestivum
- recurrent parents
- Industry Sectors