Complete sequence of the binary vector Bin 19
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Despite the widespread use of Bin 19 as a vector for plant transformation, detailed sequence information on its T-DNA region has only recently become available. We now show that the non-T-DNA region, like the T-DNA region, contains several superfluous insertions and find that some functional elements may not contain optimal sequences. Knowledge of the complete 11 777 bp sequence will aid in the construction of exceptionally efficient derivative vectors of approximately half this size. Precise knowledge of restriction sites and removal of unnecessary sequences will facilitate plasmid manipulations and plant transformation.
- Altschul SF, Gish W, Miller W, Myers EW, Lipman DJ: Basic local alignment search tool. J Mol Biol 215: 403–410 (1990).
- Bevan M: Binary Agrobacterium vectors for plant transformation. Nucl Acids Res 12: 8711–8721 (1984).
- Düring K: A plant transformation vector with a minimal T-DNA. Transgenic Res 3: 138–140 (1994).
- Fray RG, Wallace AD, Grierson D: Identification of unexplained DNA fragments within the T-DNA borders of the Bin 19 transformation vector. Plant Mol Biol 25: 339–342 (1994).
- Peralta EG, Hellmiss R, Ream W: Overdrive, a T-DNA transmission enhancer on the A. tumefaciens tumor-inducing plasmid. EMBO J 5: 1137–1142 (1986).
- Rasched I, Oberer E: Ff coliphages: structural and functional relationships. Microbiol Rev 50: 401–427 (1986).
- Schneider M, Kaghad M, Toppan A: EMBL database entry X77672 (1994).
- Viera J, Messing J: Production of single-stranded plasmid DNA. Meth Enzymol 153: 3–11. Academic Press, New York (1987).
- Wang K, Herrera-Estrella L, Montagu MV, Zambryski P: Right 25 bp terminus sequence of the nopaline T-DNA is essential for and determines direction of DNA transfer from Agrobacterium to the plant genome. Cell 38: 455–462 (1984).
- Yenofsky RL, Fine M, Pellow JW: A mutant neomycin phosphotransferase II gene reduces the resistance of transformants to antibiotic selection pressure. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 87: 3435–3439 (1990).
- Complete sequence of the binary vector Bin 19
Plant Molecular Biology
Volume 27, Issue 2 , pp 405-409
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Bin 19
- binary vector
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Developmental and Molecular Biology, Texas A&M University, 77843-3155, College Station, TX, USA
- 2. Department of Biology, Texas A&M University, 77843-3155, College Station, TX, USA