Identification of a tobacco cDNA encoding a cytosolic NADP-isocitrate dehydrogenase
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A cDNA which encodes a specific member of the NADP-dependent isocitrate dehydrogenase (ICDH) multi-isoenzyme family has been isolated from a tobacco cell suspension library, and the expression pattern of ICDH transcripts examined in various plant tissues. To assign this cDNA to a specific ICDH isoenzyme the major, cytosolic ICDH isoenzyme of tobacco leaves (ICDH1) was purified to homogeneity and its N-terminus as well as several tryptic peptides, representing 30% of the protein, were sequenced. The comparison of these amino acid sequences with the deduced protein sequence of the cDNA confirmed that this clone encodes for ICDH1. The total ICDH specific activity and protein content were higher in vascular-enriched tobacco leaf tissue than in deveined (depleted in midrib and first-order veins) leaves. Taking advantage of antibodies raised against either ICDH1 or the chloroplastic ICDH2 isoenzyme from tobacco cell suspensions, an immuno-cytochemical approach indicated that the ICDH1 isoenzyme, located in the cytosolic compartment of tobacco leaf cells, is responsible for this expression pattern. This observation was confirmed by northern blot analyses, using a specific probe obtained from the 3′ non-coding region of the ICDH1 cDNA. A comparison of ICDH protein sequences shows a large degree of similarity between eukaryotes (>60%) but a poor homology is observed when compared to Escherichia coli ICDH (<20%). However, it was found that the amino acids implicated in substrate binding, deduced from the 3-dimensional structure of the E. coli NADP-ICDH, appear to be conserved in all the deduced eukaryotic ICDH proteins reported until now.
- Becker TW, Perrot-Rechenmann C, Suzuki A, Hirel B: Subcellular and immunocytochemical localization of the enzymes involved in ammonia assimilation in mesophyll and bundle-sheath cells of maize leaves. Planta 191: 129–134 (1993).
- Chen RD, Le Maréchal P, Vidal J, Jaquot JP, Gadal P: Purification and comparative properties of the cytosolic isocitrate dehydrogenase (NAPD) from pea (Pisum sativum) roots and green leaves. Eur J Biochem 175: 565–572 (1988).
- Chen RD, Bismuth E, Champigny ML, Gadal P: Chromatographic and immunological evidence that chloroplastic and cytosolic pea leaf NADP-isocitrate dehydrogenase are distinct isoenzymes. Planta 178: 157–163 (1989).
- Chen RD, Gadal P: Do the mitochondria provide the 2-oxoglutarate needed for glutamate synthesis in higher plant chloroplasts? Plant Physiol Biochem 28: 141–145 (1990).
- Cupp JR, McAlister-Henn L: NAD-dependent isocitrate dehydrogenase. Cloning, nucleotide sequence, and disruption of the IDH2 gene from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem 266: 22199–22205 (1991).
- Cupp JR, McAlister-Henn L: Cloning and characterization of the gene encoding the IDH1 subunit of NAD-dependent isocitrate dehydrogenase from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem 267: 16417–16423 (1992).
- Cupp JR, McAlister-Henn L: Kinetic analysis of NAD-isocitrate dehydrogenase with altered isocitrate binding sites: contribution of IDH1 and IDH2 subunits to regulation and catalysis. Biochemistry 32: 9323–9328 (1993).
- Curry RA, Ting TP: Purification, properties and kinetic observation on the isoenzymes of NADP-isocitrate dehydrogenase. Arch Biochem Biophys 176: 501–509 (1976).
- Edwards JW, Walker EL, Coruzzi GM: Cell-specific expression in transgenic plants reveals nonoverlapping roles for chloroplast and cytosolic glutamine synthetase. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 87: 3459–3463 (1990).
- Elias BA, Givan CV: Alpha-ketoglutarate supply for amino acid synthesis in higher plant chloroplasts. Plant Physiol 59: 738–740 (1977).
- Fieuw S, Müller-Röber B, Gálvez S, Willmitzer L: Cloning and expression analysis of the cytosolic NADP-dependent isocitrate dehydrogenase from potato: implications for nitrogen metabolism. Plant Physiol 107: 905–913 (1995).
- Gallardo F, Gálvez S, Gadal P, Cánovas FM: Changes in NADP-linked isocitrate dehydrogenase during tomato fruit ripening. Characterization of the predominant cytosolic enzyme from green and ripe pericarp. Planta 196: 148–154 (1995).
- Gálvez S: Deux isocitrate déshydrogénases à NADP du tabac. Ph.D. thesis, Université de Paris-Sud, Orsay, France (1994).
- Gálvez S, Bismuth E, Sarda C, Gadal P: Purification and characterization of chloroplastic NADP-isocitrate dehydrogenase from mixotrophic tobacco cells. Comparison with the cytosolic isoenzyme. Plant Physiol 105: 593–600 (1994).
- Gálvez S, Gadal P: On the function of the NADP-dependent isocitrate dehydrogenase isoenzymes in living organisms. Plant Sci 105: 1–14 (1995).
- Gerhardt B: Peroxisomal catabolism of fatty and amino acids and its integration into cell metabolism. In: Huang AHC, Taiz L (eds) Molecular Approaches to Compartmentation and Metabolic Regulation. Proceedings 14th Annual Riverside Symposium on Plant Physiology, pp. 121–128 (1991).
- Harpster MH, Taylor WC: Maize phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase. Cloning and characterization of mRNAs encoding isozymic forms. J Biol Chem 261: 6132–6136 (1986).
- Haselbeck RJ, McAlister-Henn L: Isolation, nucleotide sequence and disruption of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae gene encoding mitochondrial NADP(H)-specific isocitrate dehydrogenase. J Biol Chem 266: 2339–2345 (1991).
- Haselbeck RJ, Colman RF, McAlister-Henn L: Isolation and sequence of a cDNA encoding porcine mitochondrial NADP-specific isocitrate dehydrogenase. Biochemistry 31: 6219–6223 (1992).
- Hayakawa T, Nakamura T, Hattori F, Mae T, Ojima K, Yamaya T: Cellular localization of NADH-dependent glutamate synthase protein in vascular bundles of unexpanded leaf blades and young grains of rice plants. Planta 193: 455–460 (1994).
- Henson CA, Duke HS, Collins M: Characterization of NADP+-isocitrate dehydrogenase from the host plant of lucerne (Medicago) root nodules. Physiol Plant 67: 538–544 (1986).
- Huh TL, Ryu JH, Huh JW, Sung HC, Oh IU, Song BJ, Veech RL: Cloning of a cDNA encoding bovine mitochondrial NADP+-specific isocitrate dehydrogenase and structural comparison with its isoenzymes from different species. Biochem J 292: 705–710 (1993).
- Hurley JH, Thorness PE, Ramalingam V, Helmers NH, Koshland DEJr, Stroud RM: Structure of a bacterial enzyme regulated by phosphorylation, isocitrate dehydrogenase. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 86: 8635–8639 (1989).
- Hurley JH, Dean AM, Koshland DEJr, Stroud RM: Catalytic mechanism of NADP-dependent isocitrate dehydrogenase: Implications from the structures of magnesium-isocitrate and NADP complexes. Biochemistry 30: 8671–8678 (1991).
- Maniatis T, Fritsch EF, Sambrook J: Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, NY (1982).
- Miyazaki K, Eguchi H, Yamagishi A, Wakagi T, Oshima T: Molecular cloning of the isocitrate dehydrogenase gene of an extreme thermophile, Thermus thermophilus HB8. Appl Envir Microbiol 58: 93–98 (1992).
- Nato A, Bazetoux S, Mathieu Y: Photosynthetic capacities and growth characteristics of Nicotiana tabacum (cv. Xanthi) cell suspension cultures. Physiol Plant 41: 116–123 (1977).
- Randall DD, Givan CV: Subcellular localization of NADP+ isocitrate dehydrogenase in Pisum sativum leaves. Plant Physiol 68: 70–73 (1981).
- Rasmusson AG, Möller IM: NADP-utilizing enzymes in the matrix of plant mitochondria. Plant Physiol 94: 1012–1018 (1990).
- Shorrosh BS, Dixon RA: Molecular characterization and expression an isocitrate dehydrogenase from alfalfa (Medicago sativa L.). Plant Mol Biol 20: 801–807 (1992).
- Thompson JD, Higgins DG, Gibson TJ: Clustal W: Improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, position-specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice. Nucl Acids Res 22: 4673–4680 (1994).
- Thorness PE, Koshland DE: Inactivation of isocitrate dehydrogenase by phosphorylation is mediated by the negative charge of the phosphate. J Biol Chem 262: 10422–10425 (1987).
- Udvardi MK, McDermott TR, Kahn ML: Isolation and characterization of a cDNA encoding NADP+-specific isocitrate dehydrogenase from soybean (Glycine max). Plant Mol Biol 21: 739–752 (1993).
- Yamazaki RK, Tolbert N: Enzymatic characterization of leaf peroxisomes. J Biol Chem 245: 5137–5144 (1970).
- Identification of a tobacco cDNA encoding a cytosolic NADP-isocitrate dehydrogenase
Plant Molecular Biology
Volume 30, Issue 2 , pp 307-320
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- isocitrate dehydrogenase
- peptide sequencing
- protein purification
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institut de Biotechnologie des Plantes (URA1128 CNRS), Université de Paris Sud, Bât. 630, 91405, Orsay cédex, France
- 2. Laboratoire d'Androgenèse et Biotechnologie, Faculté des Sciences, Université de Picardie, 80039, Amiens cédex, France