RNA expression patterns of a type 2 metallothionein-like gene from rice
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A type 2 metallothionein-like gene from rice, OsMT-2 (Oryza sativa metallothionein-like gene-2), was isolated in its cDNA form and sequenced. By northern analyses OsMT-2 expression was shown to be induced under stress by sucrose starvation, heat shock and, to a lesser extent, abscisic acid, but not excess metals, including copper. Its response to sucrose starvation was transient and different from OsMT-1, a type 1 metallothionein-like gene of rice inducible by copper. These results suggest that while OsMT-2 is also involved in cellular response to stress, its function may be complementary to that of OsMT-1.
- Buchanan-WollastonV: Isolation of cDNA clones from genes that are expressed during leaf senescence in Brassicanapus: identification of a gene encoding a senescence-specific metallothionein-like protein. Plant Physiol 105: 839–846 (1994).
- ChenMH, LiuLF, ChenYR, WuHK, YuSM: Expression of alpha-amylase, carbohydrate metabolism, and autophagy in cultured rice cells is coordinately regulated by sugar nutrient. Plant J 6: 625–636 (1994).
- ChevalierC, BourgeoisE, PradetA, RaymondP: Molecular cloning and characterization of six cDNAs expressed during glucose starvation in excised maize (Zea mays L.) root tips. Plant Mol Biol 28: 473–485 (1995).
- CoupeSA, JETaylor, JARoberts: Characterization of an mRNA encoding a metallothionein-like protein that accumulates during ethylene-promoted abscission of Sambucus nigra L. leaflets. Planta 197: 442–447 (1995).
- DeFramondAJ: A metallothionein-like gene from maize (Zea mays) cloning and characterization. FEBS Lett 290: 103–106 (1991).
- DeMirandaJR, ThomasMA, ThurmanDA, TomsettAB: Metallothionein genes from the flowering plant Mimulus guttatus. FEBS Lett 260: 277–280 (1990).
- EvansIM, GatehouseLN, GatehouseJA, RobinNJ, CroyRRD: A gene from pea (Pisum sativum) with homology to metallothionein genes. FEBS Lett 262: 29–32 (1990).
- EvansKM, GatehouseJA, LindsayWP, ShiJ, TommeyAM, RobinsonNJ: Expression of the pea metallothionein-like gene PsMTA in Escherichia coli and Arabidopsis thaliana and analysis of trace metal ion accumulation: implications for PsMTA function. Plant Mol Biol 20: 1019–1028 (1992).
- FoleyRC, SinghKB: Isolation of a Vicia faba metallothionein-like gene: expression in foliar trichomes. Plant Mol Biol 26: 435–444 (1994).
- GrahamIA, KatherineJD, ChristopherJL: Carbon catabolite repression regulates glyoxylate cycle gene expression in cucumber. Plant Cell 6: 761–772 (1994).
- HsiehHM, LiuWK, HuangPC: A novel stress-inducible metallothionein-like gene from rice. Plant Mol Biol 28: 381–389 (1995).
- KawashimaI, KennedyTD, ChinoM, LaneBG: Wheat Ec metallothionein genes: like mammalian Zn2+ metallothionein genes, wheat Zn2+ metallothionein genes are conspicuously expressed during embryogenesis. Eur J Biochem 209: 971–976 (1992).
- KilleP, WingeDR, HarwoodJL, KayJ: A plant metallothionein produced in E. coli. FEBS Lett 295: 171–175 (1991).
- KochKE, NolteKD, DukeER, McCarthyDR, AvigneWT: Sugar levels modulate differential expression of maize sucrose synthase genes. Plant Cell 4: 59–62 (1992).
- LedgerSE, GardnerRC: Cloning and characterization of five cDNAs for gene differentially expressed during fruit development of kiwifruit (Actinidia deliciosa var. deliciosa). Plant Mol Biol 25: 877–886 (1994).
- OkumuraN, NeshizawaNK, UmeharaY, MoriS: An iron deficiency-specific cDNA from barley roots having two homologous cysteine-rich MT domains. Plant Mol Biol 17: 531–533 (1991).
- RobinsonNJ, TommeyAM, KuskeC, JacksonPJ: Plant metallothioneins. Biochem J 295: 1–10 (1993).
- Sasaki T, Song J, Koga-Ban Y, Matsui E, Fang F, Higo H, Nagasaki H, Hori M, Miya M, Murayama-Kayano E: GenBank accession number D15602 (1995).
- SasakiT, SongJ, Koga-BanY, MatsuiE, FangF, HigoH, NagasakeH, HoriM, MiyaM, Murayama-KayanoE, TakiguchiT, TakasugaA, NikiT, IshimaruK, IkedaH, YamamotoY, MukaiY, OhtaI, MiyaderaN, HavukkalaI, MinobeY: Toward cataloguing all rice genes: large-scale sequencing of randomly chosen rice cDNAs from a callus cDNA library. Plant J 6: 615–624 (1994).
- SheenJ: Feedback control of gene expression. Photosyn Res 39: 427–438 (1994).
- SnowdenKC, GardnerRC: Five genes induced by aluminum in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) roots. Plant Physiol 103: 855–861 (1993).
- TommeyAM, ShiJ, LindsayWP, UrwinPE, RobinsonNJ: Expression of the pea gene PsMTA in E. coli: metal-binding properties of the expressed protein. FEBS Lett 292: 48–52 (1991).
- TsengTC, TsaiTH, LueMY, LeeHT: Identification of sucrose-regulated genes in cultured rice cells using mRNA differential display. Gene 161: 179–182 (1995).
- UdomAO, BradyFO: Reactivation in vitro of zinc-requiring apo-enzymes by rat liver zinc-thionein. Biochem J 187: 329–335 (1980).
- YehSC, HsiehHM, HuangPC: Transcripts of metallothionein genes in Arabidopsis thaliana. DNA Sequence 5: 141–144 (1995).
- ZengJ, KagiJHR, ValleeB: Zinc transfer from transcription factor IIIA fingers to thionein clusters. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 88: 9984–9988 (1991).
- ZhouJ, GoldsbroughPB: Functional homologs of fungal metallothionein genes from Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 6: 875–884 (1994).
- ZhouJ, GoldsbroughPB: Structure, organization and expression of the metallothionein gene family in Arabidopsis. Mol Gen Genet 248: 318–328 (1995).
- RNA expression patterns of a type 2 metallothionein-like gene from rice
Plant Molecular Biology
Volume 32, Issue 3 , pp 525-529
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors