Trichoptera and substrate stability in the Ochre River, Manitoba
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A total of 3999 Trichoptera adults, represented by 8 families, 17 genera and 33 species was collected in emergence traps in 1983 and 1984 from five stations on the Ochre River, Manitoba (50° 04′ N, 99° 48′ W). Species composition for the two years was comparable, but as the result of a summer spate in 1984, abundance was only 40% of that in 1983.
Species diversity by station was negatively correlated with substrate instability of the reach, whereas density per trap was negatively correlated with substrate instability and local factors such as sedimentation in some reaches following peak discharges. Analysis of historical peak discharge records indicated that relatively infrequent mid-summer spates had a detrimental effect on subsequent emergence of the Trichoptera fauna. The combination of spates and unstable stream bed substrate resulting from land use practices in the drainage basin have resulted in an impoverished caddisfly fauna in the Ochre River in comparison with other rivers in Manitoba.
- Chapman, A. R., 1987. River channelization in the Dauphin Lake watershed 1948–1986. Manitoba Habitat Heritage Corporation. Wpg., Manitoba October 1987. 62 pp.
- Cobb, D. G., J. F. Flannagan & M. K. Friesen, 1984. Emergence of Trichoptera from two streams of the Duck Mountains in west-central Manitoba. In J. C. Morse (ed.) Proc. 4th International Symp. Trichoptera. Dr. W. Junk Publishers, The Hague: 75–87.
- Culp, J. M., F. J. Wrona & R. W. Davies, 1986. Response of stream benthos and drift to fine sediment deposition versus transport. Can. J. Zool. 64: 1345–1351.
- Dance, K. W. & H. B. N. Hynes, 1980. Some effects of agricultural land use on stream insect communities. Envir. Pollut. 22: 19–28.
- Elson, J. A., 1967. Geology of glacial Lake Agassiz. In W. J. Mayer-Oakes (ed.) Life, Land and Water. Univ. of Man. Press. Winnipeg: 37–95.
- Environment Canada, 1983a. Sediment data. Canadian Rivers 1982. Water Survey of Canada. Inland Waters Directorate.
- Environment Canada, 1983b. Historical flow data. Canadian Rivers. Water Survey of Canada. Inland Waters Directorate.
- Environment Canada, 1984. Surface Water Data, Manitoba 1983. Inland Waters Directorate. Water Resources Branch.
- Environment Canada, 1986. Surface Water Data, Manitoba 1984. Inland Waters Directorate. Water Resources Branch.
- Flannagan, J. F., 1978. Emergence of caddisflies from the Roseau River, Manitoba. In M. I. Crichton (ed.) Proc. 2nd Internatn. Symp. Trichoptera. Dr. W. Junk Pub., The Hague: 183–197.
- Gaboury, M. N., 1985. A fishery survey of the Valley River, Manitoba, with particular reference to walleye (Stizostedion vitreum) reproductive success. Manitoba Dept. of Natural Resources, Fisheries MS Report No. 85-02, Winnipeg. 149 pp.
- Hynes, H. B. N., 1973. The effects of sediment on the biota in running water. p. 653–663. In Fluvial processes and sedimentation. Proceedings of Hydrology Symposium held at University of Alberta, Edmonton, May 8 and 9, 1973. Canada Department of the Environment, Ottawa, Canada. 759 pp.
- Lemley, A. D., 1982. Modification of benthic insect communities in polluted streams: combined effects of sedimentation and nutrient enrichment. Hydrobiol., 87: 229–245.
- Newbury, R. W., 1984. Hydrologic determinants of aquatic insect habitats. In V. H. Resh & D. M. Rosenberg (ed.) The Ecology of Aquatic Insects. Praeger, New York: 323–357.
- Newbury, R. W. & M. N. Gaboury, 1987. The use of natural stream characteristics for stream rehabilitation works below the Manitoba escarpment. Can. Water Resources Assoc. Annual Conference, Winnipeg. 1987.
- Nuttall, P. M., 1972. The effects of sand deposition upon the macroinvertebrate fauna of the River Camel, Cornwall. Freshwat. Biol. 2: 181–186.
- Rosenberg, D. M. & A. P. Wiens, 1978. Effects of sediment addition on macrobenthic invertebrates in a northern Canadian river. Wat. Res. 12: 753–763. CrossRef
- Rutherford, J. E. & R. J. Mackay, 1986. Patterns of pupal mortality in field populations of Hydropsyche and Cheumatopsyche (Trichoptera: Hydropsychidae). Freshwat. Biol. 16: 337–350.
- Sagar, P. M., 1986. The effects of floods on the invertebrate fauna of a large, unstable braided river. New Zealand J. Mar. Freshwat. Res. 20: 37–46.
- Trichoptera and substrate stability in the Ochre River, Manitoba
Volume 206, Issue 1 , pp 29-38
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- substrate stability
- tractive force
- Industry Sectors