Determination for the time-to-fracture of solids
- L. L. Mishnaevsky Jr.
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A method to determine the time to fracture taking into account the physical mechanisms of microcracks and crack formation is developed on the basis of the fractal model of fracture. The fractal dimension of a crack at different stages of its growth is determined theoretically. The damage evolution law which allows for the kinetic and microstructural properties of a material is obtained on the basis of the kinetic theory of strength. Conditions at which the microcracks accumulation gives way to the propagation of a large crack are determined with the use of the percolation theory. It is shown that the fractal dimension of the initial part of a crack is much more than the fractal dimension of the rest of the crack.
- S.N.Zhurkov, ‘Kinetic Concept of the Strength of Solids’, International Journal of Fracture Mechanics 1:4 (1965) 311–323.
- C.C. Hsiao, ‘Kinetic Strength of Solids’, Proceedings of International Conference on Fracture-7, K. Salama et al. (eds), Vol.4, Pergamon Press (1989) 2913–2919.
- T.Yokobori, An Interdisciplinary Approach to Fracture and Strength of Solids, Wolter-Noordhoff Ltd, Groningen (1968).
- V.M.Finkel, Physics of Fracture, Metallurgiya, Moscow (1970).
- A. Pineau, ‘Review of Fracture Micromechanisms and a Local Approach to Predicting Crack Resistance in Low Strength Steels’, in Advances in Fracture Research, Proceeding 5th International Conference on Fracture, D. Francois (ed.), Pergamon Press, Vol.2 (1981) 553–580.
- T.Shioya et al. Micromechanism of Dynamic Crack Propagation in Brittle Materials’, Journale de Physique, Colloque C3, Suppl. 9, 49 (1988) 253–260.
- L.L.MishnaevskyJr., ‘A New Approach to the Determination of the Crack Velocity versus Crack Length Relation’, International Journal of Fatigue and Fracture of Engineering Materials and Structures 17:10 (1994) 1205–1212.
- L.L. Mishnaevsky, Jr. ‘Mathematical Modelling of Crack Formation in Brittle Materials’, in Proceeding of 10th European Conference on Fracture, Berlin, EMAS, K.H. Schwalbe and C. Berger (eds), 1 (1994) 357–361.
- J.Lemaitre, A Course on Damage Mechanics, Springer-Verlag, Berlin (1992).
- T.L.Chelidze, ‘Percolation and Fracture, Physics of the Earth’, Planetary Interiors, 28 (1982) 93.
- D.Krajcinovic and M.Basista, ‘Statistical Models for Brittle Response of Solids’, in Constitutive Laws for Engineering Materials, C.S.Desai et al. (eds.) ASME Press, NY (1991) 417–423.
- M.Ostoia-Starzewski, ‘Damage in Random Microstructure: Size Effects, Fractals and Entropy Maximization’, in Mechanics Pan-America 1989, C.R.Steele et al. (eds.) ASME Press, NY (1989) 202–213.
- M.Watanabe, ‘Phenomenological Equation of a Dynamic Fracture’, Physics Letters 179 (1993) 41–44.
- G.P.Cherepanov, Mechanics of Brittle Fracture, Nauka, Moscow (1974).
- B.M.Smirnov, Physics of Fractal Aggregates, Nauka, Moscow (1991) 45–67.
- T.Viczek, Fractal Growth Phenomena, Singapore, World Scientific (1989).
- D.Stauffer, Introduction into Percolation Theory, Taylor and Francis, London (1985).
- I.M. Sokolov, ‘Dimensions and Other Geometrical Critical Indices in the Percolation Theory’, in Progress in Physical Sciences 150: 2 (1986) 221–255.
- T. Chelidze and Y. Guegen, ‘Evidence of Fractal Fracture’, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Science 27: 3, 223–225.
- L.L.MishnaevskyJr., ‘Informational Model of Rock Destruction and the Principle of Mining Tool Improvement’, in Fracture and Damage of Concrete and Rock (FDCR-2), H.P.Rossmanith (ed.), EF Spon, London (1993) 393–399.
- A.M.Freudenthal, ‘Statistical Approach to Brittle Fracture’, in Fracture. An Advanced Treatise, H.Liebowitz (ed.) Vol.2, Academic Press, NY (1968) 592–618.
- K.Hellan, Introduction to Fracture Mechanics, McGraw Hill, NY (1984).
- K.J. Miller, ‘Some Recent Advances in Metal Fatigue: Understanding the Two Thresholds of Fatigue Behaviour’, in Fracture Mechanics: Successes and Problems, V.V. Panasyuk et al. (eds.), Abstracts of ICF-8, Lviv, KPMI, Vol. 1 (1993) 149.
- Handbook of Mathematical Functions, M.Abramovitz and I.A.Stegun (eds.), Dover Publications, Inc., NY (1972) 231.
- Determination for the time-to-fracture of solids
International Journal of Fracture
Volume 79, Issue 4 , pp 341-350
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. University of Stuttgart, MPA, Pfaffenwaldring 32, D-70569, Stuttgart, Germany