Tobacco genes encoding acidic and basic isoforms of pathogenesis-related proteins display different expression patterns
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The induction by cytokinin stress and ethylene of nine different tobacco mosaic virus-inducible mRNA classes (termed A-I) encoding pathogenesis-related (PR) proteins was studied. The induced mRNA levels were compared to basal levels in healthy tobacco plants grown in tissue culture and in a greenhouse. Cytokinin stress and ethylene were found to induce different subsets of the mRNAs, indicating that ethylene is not the primary inducing signal in cytokinin-stressed shoots. mRNAs F, H and G encoding the basic hydrolytic enzymes chitinase, β-1,3-glucanase and a basic equivalent of PR-1, respectively, were found to be expressed at high levels in roots of healthy plants. mRNAs D, I and B encoding the acidic equivalents of the proteins proved to be present at low levels in healthy plants. These results indicate that genes encoding basic and acidic isoforms of pathogenesis-related proteins are differentially regulated.
- Bol JF, vanKan JAL: The synthesis and possible functions of virus-induced proteins in plants. Microbiol Sci 5: 47–52 (1988).
- Boller T, Vögeli U: Vacuolar localization of ethylene-induced chitinase in bean leaves. Plant Physiol 74: 442–444 (1984).
- Condit CM, Meagher RB: A gene encoding a novel glycine-rich structural protein of petunia. Nature 323: 178–181 (1986).
- Cornelissen BJC, Hooftvan Huijsduijnen RAM, Bol JF: A tobacco mosaic virus-induced tobacco protein is homologous to the sweet-tasting protein thaumatin. Nature 321: 531–532 (1986).
- Cornelissen BJC, Hooftvan Huijsduijnen RAM, vanLoon LC, Bol JF: Molecular characterization of messenger RNAs for ‘pathogenesis-related’ proteins 1a, 1b and 1c, induced by TMV infection of tobacco. EMBO J 5: 37–40 (1986).
- Cornelissen BJC, Horowitz J, vanKan JAL, Goldberg RB, Bol JF: Structure of tobacco genes encoding pathogenesis-related proteins from the PR-1 group. Nucleic Acids Res 15: 6799–6811 (1987).
- ecker JR, Davis RW: Plant defense genes are regulated by ethylene. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 84: 5202–5206 (1987).
- Hooftvan Huijsduijnen RAM, Kauffmann S, Brederode FT, Cornelissen BJC, Legrand M, Fritig B, Bol JF: Homology between chitinases that are induced by TMV infection of tobacco. Plant Mol Biol 9: 411–420 (1987).
- Hooftvan Huijsduijnen RAM, vanLoon LC, Bol JF: cDNA cloning of six mRNAs induced by TMV infection of tobacco and a characterization of their translation products. EMBO J 5: 2057–2061 (1986).
- Kaldenhoff R, Richter G: Sequence of cDNA for a novel light-induced glycin-rich protein. Nucleic Acids Res 17: 2853 (1989).
- Kauffmann S, Legrand M, Geoffroy P, Fritig B: Biological function of ‘pathogenesis-related’ proteins: four PR proteins have 1,3-β-glucanase activity. EMBO J 6: 3209–3212 (1987).
- Kuhlemeier C, Green PJ, Chua N-H: Regulation of gene expression in higher plants. Ann Rev Plant Physiol 38: 221–257 (1987).
- Lamb CJ, Lawton MA, Dron M, Dixon RA: Signals and transduction mechanisms for activation of plant defenses against microbial attack. Cell 56: 215–224 (1989).
- Legrand M, Kauffmann S, Geoffroy P, Fritig B: Biological function of pathogenesis-related proteins: Four tobacco pathogenesis-related proteins are chitinases. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 84: 6750–6754 (1987).
- Mauch F, Staehelin LA: Functional implications of the subcellular localization of ethylene-induced chitinase and β-1,3-glucanase in bean leaves. Plant Cell 1: 447–457 (1989). CrossRef
- Memelink J: Altered gene expression in T-DNA transformed tobacco tissues. Ph.D. Thesis, Leiden University, Netherlands (1988).
- Memelink J, dePater BS, Hoge JHC, Schilperoort RA: T-DNA hormone biosynthetic genes: phytohormones and gene expression in plants. Dev Genet 8: 321–337 (1987).
- Memelink J, Hoge JHC, Schilperoort RA: Cytokinin stress changes the developmental regulation of several defence-related genes in tobacco. EMBO J 6: 3579–3583 (1987).
- Mohnen D, Shinshi H, Felix G, Meins FJr: Hormonal regulation of β-1,3-glucanase messenger RNA levels in cultured tobacco tissues. EMBO J 4: 1631–1635 (1985).
- Peerbolte R, Floor M, Ruigrok P, Hoge JHC, Wullems GJ, Schilperoort RA: Stability and expression of transferred DNA in F1 tobacco transformants studied at various states of differentiation. Planta 172: 448–462 (1987).
- Richardson M, Valdes-Rodriguez S, Blanco-Labra A: A possible function for thaumatin and a TMV-induced protein suggested by homology to a maize inhibitor. Nature 327: 432–434 (1987). CrossRef
- Shinshi H, Mohnen D, Meins FJr: Regulation of a plant pathogenesis-related enzyme: Inhibition of chitinase and chitinase mRNA accumulation in cultured tobacco tissues by auxin and cytokinin. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 84: 89–93 (1987).
- Shinshi H, Wenzler H, Neuhaus J-M, Felix G, Hofsteenge J, Meins FJr: Evidence for N- and C-terminal processing of a plant defense-related enzyme: Primary structure of tobacco prepro-β-1,3-glucanase. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 85: 5541–5545 (1988).
- Singh NK, Bracker CA, Hasegawa PM, Handa AK, Buckel S, Hermodson MA, Pfankoch E, Regnier FE, Bressan RA: Characterization of osmotin. Plant Physiol 85: 529–536 (1987).
- Van denBulcke M, Bauw G, Castresana C, VanMontagu M, Vandekerckhove J: Characterization of vacuolar and extracellular β(1,3)-glucanases of tobacco: Evidence for a strictly compartmentalized plant defense system. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 86: 2673–2677 (1989).
- VanKan JAL, Cornelissen BJC, Bol JF: A virus-inducible tobacco gene encoding a glycine-rich protein shares putative regulatory elements with the ribulose biphosphate carboxylase small subunit gene. Mol Plant-Microbe Interactions 1: 107–112 (1988).
- VanLoon LC: Pathogenesis-related proteins. Plant Mol Biol 4: 111–116 (1985).
- VanLoon LC, Gerritsen YAM, Ritter CE: Identification, purification and characterization of pathogenesis-related proteins from virus-infected Samsun NN tobacco leaves. Plant Mol Biol 9: 593–609 (1987).
- Yang SF, Hoffman NE: Ethylene biosynthesis and its regulation in higher plants. Ann Rev Plant Physiol 35: 155–189 (1984).
- Tobacco genes encoding acidic and basic isoforms of pathogenesis-related proteins display different expression patterns
Plant Molecular Biology
Volume 14, Issue 2 , pp 119-126
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- β-1,3-glucanase mRNA
- chitinase mRNA
- pathogenesis-related mRNAs
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Molbas Research Group, Department of Plant Molecular Biology, Leiden University, Wassenaarseweg 64, 2333 AL, Leiden, Netherlands
- 2. Department of Biochemistry, Leiden University, Gorlaeus Laboratories, Einsteinweg 5, 2333 CC, Leiden, Netherlands