Molecular analysis of the alcohol dehydrogenase gene family of barley
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
One partial and two complete genomic clones of the three loci specifying alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) in barley were isolated by screening libraries with a maize Adh1 cDNA probe. Each gene is characterised by an intron arrangement similar to that of both maize Adh1 and Adh2, although two genes show an exon fusion. A comparison with the maize coding sequences unambiguously assorts the barley loci into an Adh1-like gene and two Adh2-like genes, indicating that an ancient gene duplication underlies the widespread occurrence of two Adh loci in higher plants. In the barley lineage there has been a further duplication-transposition of a progenitor “Adh2” locus to give rise to the extant three-gene system, with gene copies of different ancestry being closely linked. An Adh1 null-allele, Adh1-M9, has been cloned; the available sequence includes an intron with a missing acceptor splice signal. Two independent clones of one of the barley Adh2-like genes have an 18 bp in-frame deletion towards the 3′ end of the coding sequence. The barley Adh2-like genes are extensively diverged in their 5′ sequences apart from a conserved 15 bp motif in the mRNA leader region and sequences at the start of transcription. A sequence related to the hexanucleotide core of a regulatory element found in maize Adh1 and in other anaerobically induced plant genes is present in the 5′ region of barley Adh2.
- Banuett-Bourillon F: Linkage of the alcohol dehydrogenase structural genes in pearl millet (Pennisetum typhoides). Biochem Genet 17: 537–552 (1982).
- Banuett-Bourillon F, Hague DK: Genetic analysis of alcohol dehydrogenase isozymes in pearl millet (Pennisetum typhoides) Biochem Genet 17: 537–552 (1979).
- Benton WD, Davis RW: Screening λgt recombinant clones by hybridisation to single plaques in situ. Science 196: 180–182 (1977).
- Berendes K: PhD Thesis, Indiana University, Bloomington (1978).
- Brändén C-I, Eklund H, Cambillau C, Pryor AJ: Correlation of exons with structural domains in alcohol dehydrogenase. EMBO J 3: 1307–1310 (1984).
- Breathnach R, Chambon P: Organisation and expression of eucaryotic split genes coding for proteins. Ann Rev Biochem 50: 349–383 (1981).
- Brown AHD: Genetic basis of alcohol dehydrogenase polymorphism in Hordeum spontaneum. J Heredity 70: 127–128 (1980).
- Chang C, Meyerowitz EM: Molecular cloning and DNA sequence of Arabidopsis thaliana alcohol dehydrogenase gene. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 83: 1408–1412 (1986).
- Davis RW, Botstein D, Roth JR: Advanced Bacterial Genetics. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, NY (1978).
- Dennis ES, Gerlach WL, Pryor AJ, Bennetzen JL, Inglis A, Llewellyn D, Sachs MM, Ferl RJ, Peacock WJ: Molecular analysis of the alcohol dehydrogenase (Adh1) gene of maize. Nucleic Acids Res 12: 3983–4000 (1984).
- Dennis ES, Sachs MM, Gerlach WL, Finnegan EJ, Peacock WJ: Molecular analysis of the alcohol dehydrogenase 2 (Adh2) gene of maize. Nucleic Acids Res 13: 727–743 (1985).
- Dennis ES, Gerlach WL, Walker JC, Lavin M, Peacock WJ: An anaerobically regulated aldolase gene of maize. Mol Biol (in press).
- Dennis ES, Walker JC, Llewellyn DJ, Ellis JG, Singh K, Tokuhisa JG, Wolstenholme DR, Peacock WJ: The response to anaerobic stress: transcriptional regulation of genes for anaerobically induced proteins. In: Wettstein D, Chua N-H (eds.) Plant Molecular Biology 1987, pp. 407–417. Plenum Press, New York (1987).
- Dlouhy SR: PhD Thesis, Indiana University, Bloomington (1980).
- Dolferus R, Jacobs M: Polymorphism of alcohol dehydrogenase in Arabidopsis thaliana (L.) Heynh.: genetical and biochemical characterisation. Biochem Genet 22: 817–838 (1984).
- Ellis JG, Llewellyn DJ, Dennis ES, Peacock WJ: Maize Adh1 promoter sequences control anaerobic regulation: addition of upstream promoter elements from constitutive genes is necessary for expression in tobacco. EMBO J 6: 11–16 (1987).
- Ferl RJ, Dlouhy SR, Schwartz D: Analysis of maize alcohol dehydrogenase by native SDS two-dimensional electrophoresis and autoradiography. Mol Gen Genet 169: 7–12 (1979).
- Freeling M: Simultaneous induction by anaerobiosis or 2,4-D of multiple enzymes specified by two unlinked genes: differential ADH1-ADH2 expression in maize. Mol Gen Genet 127: 215–217 (1973).
- Freeling M, Bennett DC: Maize Adh1. Ann Rev Genet 19: 297–323 (1985).
- Freeling M, Birchler JA: Mutants and variants of the alcohol dehydrogenase-1 gene in maize. In: Setlow JK, Hollaender A (eds.) Genetic Engineering Principles, Methods III, pp. 223–264. Plenum Press, New York (1981).
- Freeling M, Schwartz D: Genetic relationships between the multiple alcohol dehydrogenases of maize. Biochem Genet 8: 27–36 (1973).
- Frischauf A-M, Lehrach H, Poustka A, Murray N: Lambda replacement vectors carrying polylinker sequences. J Mol Biol 170: 827–842 (1983).
- Gerlach WL, Pryor AJ, Dennis ES, Ferl RJ, Sachs MM, Peacock WJ: cDNA cloning and induction of the alcohol dehydrogenase gene (Adh1) of maize. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 79: 2981–2985 (1982).
- Gottlieb LP: Conservation and duplication of isozymes in plants. Science 216: 373–380 (1982).
- Hanson AD, Brown ADH: Three alcohol dehydrogenase genes in wild and cultivated barley: characterisation of the products of variant alleles. Biochem Genet 22: 495–515 (1984).
- Hanson AD, Jacobsen JV, Zwar JA: Regulated expression of three alcohol dehydrogenase genes in barley aleurone layers. Plant Physiol 75: 573–581 (1984).
- Harberd NP: A genetical investigation of the alcohol dehydrogenase system in barley. PhD Thesis, University of Cambridge (1981).
- Harberd NP, Edwards KJR: A mutational analysis of the alcohol dehydrogenase system in barley. Heredity 48: 187–195 (1982).
- Harberd NP, Edwards KJR: Further studies on the alcohol dehydrogenases in barley: evidence for a third alcohol dehydrogenase locus and data on the effect of an alcohol dehydrogenase-1 null mutation in homozygous and in heterozygous condition. Genet Res Camb 41: 109–116 (1983).
- Hart GE: Evidence for triplicate genes for alcohol dehydrogenase in hexaploid wheat. Proc Natl Acad USA 66: 1136–1141 (1970).
- Hart GE: Evidence for a second triplicate set of alcohol dehydrogenase structural genes in hexaploid wheat. Genetics 94: s41 (1980).
- Hart GE, Islam AKMR, Shepherd KW: Use of isozymes as chromosome markers in the isolation and characterisation of wheat-barley chromosome addition lines. Genet Res, Camb 36: 311–325 (1980).
- Howard EA, Walker JC, Dennis ES, Peacock WJ: Regulated expression of an alcohol dehydrogenase 1 chimeric gene introduced into maize protoplasts. Planta 170: 535–540 (1987).
- Johns MA, Strommer JN, Freeling M: Exceptionally high levels of restriction site polymorphism in DNA near the maize Adh1 gene. Genetics 105: 733–743 (1983).
- Llewellyn DJ, Finnegan EJ, Ellis JG, Dennis ES, Peacock WJ: Structure and expression of an alcohol dehydrogenase 1 gene from Pisum sativum.. J Mol Biol 195: 115–123 (1987).
- Maniatis T, Fritsch EF, Sambrook J: Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual. Cold Spring Harbor Press Laboratory, Cold Spriong Harbor, NY (1982).
- Marshall DR, Broué P, Oram RW: Genetic control of the alcohol dehydrogenase isozymes in narrow-leafed lupins. J Hered 65: 198–203 (1974).
- Messing J, Geraghty D, Heidecker G, Hu N-T, Kridl J, Rubenstein J: Plant gene structure. In: Kosuge T, Meredith CP, Hollaender A (eds.) Genetic Engineering of Plants, pp. 211–227. Plenum Press, New York (1983).
- Peacock WJ, Dennis ES, Gerlach WL, Llewellyn D, Lörz H, Pryor AJ, Sachs MM, Schwartz D, Sutton WD: Gene transfer in maize: controlling elements and the alcohol dehydrogenase genes. In: Downey K, Voellmy RW, Ahmad F, Schultz J (eds.) Advances in Gene Technology; Molecular Genetics of Plants and Animals, pp. 311–325. Academic Press, New York (1983).
- Peacock WJ, Wolstenholme D, Walker J, Singh K, Llewellyn D, Ellis J, Dennis ES: Developmental and environmental regulation of the maize alcohol dehydrogenasee 1 (Adh1) gene: promoter-enhancer interactions. In: McIntosh L, Key J (eds.) Plant Gene Systems. AR Liss, New York, (in press).
- Rigby PWJ, Dieckmann M, Rhodes C, Berg P: Labelling deoxyribonucleic acid to high specific activity in vitro by nick translation with DNA polymerase I. J Mol Biol 113: 237–251 (1977).
- Sachs MM, Freeling M: Selective synthesis of alcohol dehydrogenase during anaerobic treatment of maize. Mol Gen Genet 161: 111–115 (1978).
- Sachs MM, Freeling M, Okimoto R: The anaerobic proteins of maize. Cell 20: 761–767 (1980).
- Sachs MM, Dennis ES, Gerlach WL, Peacock WJ: Two alleles of maize alcohol dehydrogenase 1 have 3′ structural and poly (A) addition polymorphisms. Genetics 113: 449–467 (1986).
- Sanger F, Nicklen S, Coulson AR: DNA sequencing with chain-terminating inhibitors. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 74: 5463–5467 (1977).
- Schwartz D: The genetic control of alcohol dehydrogenase in maize: gene duplication and repression. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 56: 1431–1436 (1966).
- Schwartz D: Genetic control of alcohol dehydrogenase in maize — a competition model for regulation of gene action. Genetics 67: 411–425 (1971).
- Schwartz D: Comparison of relative activities of maize Adh1 alleles in heterozygotes-analysis at the protein (CRM) level. Genetics 74: 615–617 (1973).
- Southern EM: Detection of specific sequences among DNA fragments separated by gel electrophoresis J Mol Biol 98: 503–517 (1975).
- Wahl GM, Stern M, Stark GR: Efficient transfer of large DNA fragments from agarose gels to diazobenzyloxymethyl-paper and rapid hybridisation by using dextran sulphate. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 76: 3683–3687 (1979).
- Walker JC, Howard EA, Dennis ES, Peacock WJ: DNA sequences required for anaerobic expression of the maize alcohol dehydrogenase-1 gene. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 84: 6624–6628 (1987).
- Molecular analysis of the alcohol dehydrogenase gene family of barley
Plant Molecular Biology
Volume 11, Issue 2 , pp 147-160
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- alcohol dehydrogenase
- DNA sequences
- gene duplication
- Industry Sectors