Regrowth of western wheatgrass utilizing 14C-labeled assimilates stored in belowground parts
- U. G. Bokhari
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Results of this study showed that carbohydrates stored in the roots of western wheatgrass are utilized for regrowth following clipping of the aboveground foliage. Shoots remained dependent on carbohydrates stored in roots until sufficient photosynthetic leaf surface was developed to supply carbon to the shoots. During early phenophases, the partitioning of carbohydrates between shoots and roots was identical, indicating equal metabolic demands for carbon from both the shoot and root systems. Subsequent fluctuations in root and shoot carbohydrates may be caused by selected pressure imposed on either the root or shoot systems by physiological changes in these organs.
Respiratory losses of 14C were slower during the early phenophases which may indicate that either the rate of respiration was slower or that recently assimilated nonlabeled carbon sources were utilized for respiration instead of the endogenous sources assimilated earlier in the growth period. re]19760427
- Alcock, M. B., The physiological significance of defoliation on the subsequent regrowth of grass clover mixtures and cereals. p. 25–41. In D. J.Crisp (ed.) Grazing in terrestrial and marine environments. Blackwell Sci. Pub., Oxford (1964).
- Balasko, J. A. and Smith, D. Carbohydrates in grasses. V. Incorporation of 14C into plant parts and nonstructural carbohydrates of timothy (Phleum pratense L.) at three developmental stages. Crop Sci. 13, 19–22 (1993).
- Bokhari, U. G. and Dyer, M. I., Carbohydrate reserves of blue grama (Bouteloua gracilis) at various environmental factors under growth chamber experiments. US/IBP Grassland Biome Tech. Rep. No. 255, Colorado State Univ., Fort Collins, 37 pp. (1974).
- Bokhari, U. G. and Singh, J. S., Effects of temperature and clipping on growth, carbohydrate reserves, and root exudation of western wheatgrass in hydroponic culture. Crop Sci. 14, 790–794 (1974).
- Bray, G. A., A simple efficient liquid scintillator for counting aqueous solutions in a liquid scintillation counter. Anal. Biochem. 1, 279–285 (1960).
- Brown, R. H. and Blaser, R. E., Relationship between reserve carbohydrate accumulation and growth rate in orchard grass and tall fescue. Crop Sci. 5, 577–582 (1965).
- Bukey, F. S. and Weaver, J. E., Effects of frequent clipping on the underground food reserves of certain prairie grasses. Ecology 20, 246–252 (1939).
- Cook, W. C., Carbohydrate reserves in plants. Utah Res. Ser. 31. Logan, Utah, 47 pp. (1966).
- Davidson, J. D., Oliverio, V. T. and Peterson, J. I., Combustion of samples for liquid scintillation counting. In E. D. Bransome Jr. (ed.) The current status of liquid scintillation counting (1970).
- Ehara, K., Maeno, N. and Yamada, Y., Physiological and ecological studies on the regrowth of herbage plants. 4. The evidence of utilization of food reserves during the early stage of regrowth in bahia grass (Paspalum notatum Flugge) with 14CO2. J. Jpn. Soc. Grassl. Sci. 12, 1–3 (1966).
- Graber, I. F., Nelson, N. T., Luekel, W. A. and Albert, W. B., Organic food reserves in relation to the growth of alfalfa and other perennial herbaceous plants. Wisc. Agric. Exp. Stn. Res. Bull. 80 (1927).
- Hyder, D. N. and Sneva, F. A., Growth and carbohydrate trends in crested wheatgrass. J. Range Manage. 12, 271–276 (1959).
- Jameson, D. A., Responses of individual plants to harvesting. Bot. Rev. 29, 532–594 (1963).
- Kucera, C. L. and Kirkham, D. R., Soil respiration studies in tallgrass prairie in Missouri. Ecology 52, 912–915 (1971).
- Marshall, C. and Sagar, G. R., The influence of defoliation on the distribution of assimilates in Lolium multiflorum Lam. Ann. Bot. 29, 365–372 (1965).
- May, L. H., The utilization of carbohydrate reserves in pasture plants after defoliation. Herb. Abstr. 30, 239–245 (1960).
- Murata, Y., Physiological responses to nitrogen in plants p. 235–259, In J. D.Eastin, F. A.Haskins, C. Y.Sullivan, and C. H. M.VanBavel (eds.) Physiological aspects of crop yield. Am. Soc. Agron., Madison, Wisc. (1969).
- Pearce, R. B., Fissel, G. and Carlson, G. E., Carbon uptake and distribution before and after defoliation of alfalfa. Crop Sci. 9, 756–759 (1969).
- Prianishnikov, D. N., Nitrogen in the life of plants. (Transl. by S. A. Wilde) Kramer Business Service, Inc., Madison, Wisc., 109 pp. (1951).
- Ryle, G. J. A., Distribution pattern of assimilated 14C in vegetative and reproductive shoots of Lolium perenne and L. temulentum. Ann. Appl. Biol. 66, 155–167 (1970).
- Singh, J. S. and Coleman, D. C., Evaluation of functional root biomass and translocation of photoassimilated carbon-14 in a shortgrass prarie ecosystem. In J. K. Marshall (ed.) The belowground ecosystem: A synthesis of plant-associated processes. US/IBP Interbiome Symposium, Colorado State Univ. Fort Collins (1973), to be published.
- Smith, D., Removing and analyzing total nonstructural carbohydrates from plant tissue. College of Agric. and Life Sci., Univ. Wisc. Res. Rep. No. 41 (1969).
- Smith, L. H. and Marten, G. C., Foliar regrowth of alfalfa utilizing 14C-labeled carbohydrates stored in roots. Crop Sci. 10, 146–150 (1970).
- Trlica, M. J. and Cook, C. W., Carbohydrate reserves of crested wheatgrass and Russian wildrye as influenced by development and defoliation. J. Range Manage. 25, 430–435 (1972).
- Warembourg, F. R. and Paul, E. A., Seasonal transfers of assimilated 14C in grassland: Plant production and turnover, translocation and respiration. In J. K. Marshall (ed.) The belowground ecosystem: A synthesis of plant-associated processes. US/IBP Interbiome Symposium, Colorado State Univ., Fort Collins (1973, to be published).
- Weinmann, H., Underground development and reserves of grasses: A review. J. Br. Grassl. Soc. 3, 115–140 (1948).
- White, L. M., Carbohydrate reserves of grasses: A review. J. Range Manage. 26, 13–18 (1973).
- Williams, S. R. D., Assimilation and translocation in perennial grasses. Ann. Bot. (N.S.) 28, 419–426 (1964).
- Regrowth of western wheatgrass utilizing 14C-labeled assimilates stored in belowground parts
Plant and Soil
Volume 48, Issue 1 , pp 115-127
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- U. G. Bokhari (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Natural Resource Ecology Laboratory, Colorado State University, 80523, Fort Collins, Colorado