Primary structure of the photosynthetic pyruvate orthophosphate dikinase of the C3 plant Flaveria pringlei and expression analysis of pyruvate orthophosphate dikinase sequences in C3, C3–C4 and C4 Flaveria species
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We have isolated full-size cDNA sequences encoding the photosynthetic isoform of pyruvate orthophosphate dikinase (PPDK) of the C3 plant Flaveria pringlei. The encoded protein shares 96% identical amino acid residues with the C4 isoform of PPDK in the C4 species F. trinervia. The differing amino acid residues are evenly distributed along the polypeptide chain. Genomic Southern analysis of photosynthetic PPDK sequences in F. pringlei (C3), F. chloraefolia (C3–C4), F. linearis (C3–C4), F. floridana (C3–C4), F. brownii (C4-like) and F. trinervia (C4) reveals a simple hybridization pattern which is suggestive of a single gene. Northern hybridization experiments show that the abundance of PPDK transcripts in leaves correlates with the degree of C4 characteristics expressed in the various photosynthetic types analysed. This finding demonstrates that the increase in expression levels must have played a crucial role in evolving the C4-PPDK gene in the genus Flaveria.
- Aoyagi K, Bassham JA: Pyruvate orthophosphate dikinase in wheat leaves. Plant Physiol 73: 853–854 (1983).
- Aoyagi K, Nakamoto H: Pyruvate, Pi dikinase in bundle sheath strands as well as in mesophyll cells in maize leaves. Plant Physiol 78: 661–664 (1985).
- Budde RJA, Chollet R: Regulation of enzyme activity in plants by reversible phosphorylation. Physiol Plant 72: 435–439 (1988).
- Burnell JM, Hatch MD: Light-dark modulation of leaf pyruvate,Pi dikinase. Trends Biochem Sci 10: 288–291 (1985). CrossRef
- Carroll LJ, Xu Y, Thrall SH, Martin BM, Dunaway-Mariano D: Substrate binding domains in pyruvate phosphate dikinase. Biochemistry 33: 1134–1142 (1994).
- Church GM, Gilbert W: Genomic sequencing. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 81: 1991–1995 (1984).
- Edwards GE, Ku MSB. Biochemistry of C3–C4 intermediates. In: Hatch MD, Boardman NK (eds) The Biochemistry of Plants, vol. 10, pp. 275–325. Academic Press, New York (1987).
- Glackin CA, Grula JW: Organ-specific transcripts of different size and abundance derive from the same pyruvate, orthophosphate dikinase gene in maize. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 87: 3004–3008 (1990).
- Hatch MD, Osmond CB: Compartmentation and transport in C4 photosynthesis. In: Stocking CR, Heber U (eds) Transport in Plants. III. Intracellular Interactions and Transport Processes. Encyclopedia of Plant Physiology, vol. 3, pp. 144–184. Springer-Verlag, Berlin (1976).
- Henikoff S: Unidirectional digestion with exonuclease III creates targeted breakpoints for DNA sequencing. Gene 28: 351–359 (1984). CrossRef
- Hermans J, Westhoff P: Analysis of expression and evolutionary relationships of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase genes in Flaveria trinervia (C4) and F. pringlei (C3). Mol Gen Genet 224: 459–468 (1990). CrossRef
- Hermans J, Westhoff P: Homologous genes for the C4 isoform of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase in a C3-and a C4 Flaveria species. Mol Gen Genet 234: 275–284 (1992). CrossRef
- Higgins DG, Bleasby AJ, Fuchs R: Clustal V: improved software for multiple sequence alignment. Comput Appl Biosci 8: 189–191 (1992).
- Höfer MU, Santore UJ, Westhoff P: Differential accumulation of the 10-, 16- and 23-kDa peripheral components of the water-splitting complex of photosystem II in mesophyll and bundle-sheath chloroplasts of the dicotyledonous C4 plant Flaveria trinervia (Spreng.) C. Mohr. Planta 186: 304–312 (1992).
- Ku MSB, Wu J, Dai Z, Scott RA, Chu C, Edwards GE: Photosynthetic and photorespiratory characteristics of Flaveria species. Plant Physiol 96: 518–528 (1991).
- Lipka B, Steinmüller K, Börsch D, Rosche E, Westhoff P: The photosynthetic isoform of the NADP-malic enzyme of the C3 plant Flaveria pringlei is a chloroplastic enzyme and orthologous to the C4 isoform of the C4 plant F. trinervia. Plant Mol Biol, submitted.
- Matsuoka M: Structure, genetic mapping, and expression of the gene for pyruvate, orthophosphate dikinase from maize. J Biol Chem 265: 16772–16777 (1990).
- Matsuoka M, Ozeki Y, Yamamoto N, Hirano H, Kano-Murakami Y, Tanaka Y: Primary structure of maize pyruvate,orthophosphate dikinase as deduced from cDNA sequence. J Biol Chem 263: 11080–11083 (1988).
- Meyer AO, Kelly GJ, Latzko E: Pyruvate orthophosphate dikinase from the immature grains of cereal grasses. Plant Physiol 69: 7–10 (1982).
- Monson RK, Moore Bd: On the significance of C3–C4 intermediate photosynthesis to the evolution of C4 photosynthesis. Plant Cell Environ 12: 689–699 (1989).
- Oswald A, Streubel M, Ljungberg U, Hermans J, Eskins K, Westhoff P: Differential biogenesis of photosystem II in mesophyll and bundle sheath cells of NADP malic enzyme-type C4 plants. A comparative protein and RNA analysis. Eur J Biochem 190: 185–194 (1990).
- Pocalyko DJ, Carroll LJ, Martin BM, Babbitt PC, Dunaway-Mariano D: Analysis of sequence homologies in plant and bacterial pyruvate phosphate dikinase, enzyme I of the bacterial phosphoenolpyruvate: sugar phosphotransferase system and other PEP-utilizing enzymes. Identification of potential catalytic and regulatory motifs. Biochemistry 29: 10757–10765 (1990).
- Poetsch W, Hermans J, Westhoff P: Multiple cDNAs of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase in the C4 dicot Flaveria trinervia. FEBS Lett 292: 133–136 (1991). CrossRef
- Powell AM: Systematics of Flaveria (Flaveriinae-Asteraceae). Ann Missouri Bot Gard 65: 590–636 (1978).
- Rajeevan MS, Bassett CL, Hughes DW: Isolation and characterization of cDNA clones for NADP-malic enzyme from leaves of Flaveria: transcript abundance distinguishes C3, C3–C4 and C4 photosynthetic types. Plant Mol Biol 17: 371–383 (1991).
- Rosche E, Westhoff P: Primary structure of pyruvate, orthophosphate dikinase in the dicotyledonous C4 plant Flaveria trinervia. FEBS Lett 273: 116–121 (1990). CrossRef
- Sheen J: Molecular mechanisms underlying the differential expression of maize pyruvate, orthophosphate dikinase genes. Plant Cell 3: 225–245 (1991). CrossRef
- von Heijne G, Steppuhn J, Herrmann RG: Domain structure of mitochondrial and chloroplast targeting peptides. Eur J Biochem 180: 535–545 (1989).
- Westhoff P, Offermann-Steinhard K, Höfer M, Eskins K, Oswald A, Streubel M: Differential accumulation of plastid transcripts encoding photosystem II components in the mesophyll and bundle-sheath cells of monocotyledonous NADP-malic enzyme-type C4 plants. Planta 184: 377–388 (1991). CrossRef
- Primary structure of the photosynthetic pyruvate orthophosphate dikinase of the C3 plant Flaveria pringlei and expression analysis of pyruvate orthophosphate dikinase sequences in C3, C3–C4 and C4 Flaveria species
Plant Molecular Biology
Volume 26, Issue 2 , pp 763-769
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- C4 photosynthesis
- molecular evolution
- pyruvate orthophosphate dikinase
- Industry Sectors