Nitrogen and phosphorus concentrations and export for the upper Kuparuk River on the North Slope of Alaska in 1980
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Nitrogen and phosphorus concentrations were measured from May to August 1980 in the upper Kuparuk River, a tundra stream on the North Slope of Alaska. Mean values for nitrogen were 10.8 µg N 1−1 for ammonium, 21.4 µg N 1−1 for nitrate plus nitrite and 248 µg N 1−1 for dissolved organic nitrogen. Mean values for phosphorus were 8.1 µg P 1−1 for total dissolved phosphorus and 4.7 µg P 1−1 for fine particulate phosphorus. Nitrate concentrations were inversely correlated with flow whereas particulate phosphorus concentrations increased during high flows. Export of nitrogen and phosphorus from the watershed during 1980 was estimated to be 4.69, 3.25 and 91 kg km−2 yr−1 for NO3-N, NH4-N and DON-N, respectively, and 2.86 and 3.03 kg km−2 yr−1 for TDP-P and PP-P. Both the relative concentrations of N and P and the relative amounts exported suggest that phosphorus is in short supply but both nutrients are present in low concentrations comparable to those found previously in tundra ponds at Point Barrow, Alaska.
- Barsdate, R. J. & V. Alexander, 1975. The nitrogen balance of Arctic tundra: Pathway rates and environmental implications. J. Envir. Qual. 4: 111–117.
- Brunskill, G. J., P. Campbell, S. E. M. Elliot, B. W. Graham, W. J. Dentry & R. Wagemann, 1975. The chemistry, mineralogy and rates of transport of sediments in the Mackenzie and Porcupine River watersheds. N. W. T. and Yukon, 1971–73. Research and Development Directorate, Freshwater Institute, Winnipeg, Manitoba. Technical Report No. 546. 69 pp.
- Chapin, F. S. III., 1978. Phosphate uptake and nutrient utilization by Barrow tundra vegetation, pp. 483–505. In L. L. Tieszen (ed.) Vegetation and Production Ecology of an Alaskan Arctic Tundra. Springer-Verlag, New York, 686 pp.
- Chapin, F. S. III., L. L. Tieszen, M. C. Lewis, P. C. Miller & B. H. McCown, 1980. Control of tundra plant allocation patterns and growth, In J. Brown, P. C. Miller, L. L. Tieszen & F. L. Burnwell (eds) An Arctic Ecosystem, The Coastal Tundra at Barrow, Alaska. Dowden, Hutchinson and Ross, Inc., Stroudsburg, PA, 571 pp.
- Craig, P. C. & P. J. McCart, 1975. Classification of stream types in Beaufort Sea drainages between Prudhoe Bay, Alaska and the Mackenzie delta, N.W.T., Canada. Arctic and Alpine Research 7: 183–198. CrossRef
- D'Elia, C. F., P. A. Steudler & N. Corwin, 1977. Determination of total nitrogen in aqueous samples using persulfate digestion. Limnol. Oceanogr. 22: 760–764.
- de March, L., 1975. Nutrient budgets for a high arctic lake (Char Lake, N. W. T.). Mitt. Int. Ver. Theor. Angew. Limnol. 19: 496–503.
- Dillon, P. J. & W. B. Kirchner, 1975. The effects of geology and land use on the export of phosphorus from watersheds. Wat. Res. 9: 135–148. CrossRef
- Glibert, P. M. & T. C. Loder, 1977. Automated analysis of nutrients in seawater: A manual of techniques. Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution Technical Report No. 77–47. 46 pp.
- Hobbie, J. E., 1973. Arctic limnology: A review. In: M. E. Britton (ed.), Alaskan Arctic Tundra. Technical Paper No. 25, Arctic Institute of North America.
- Johnson, A. H., B. R. Bouldin, E. A. Goyette & A. M. Hedges, 1976. Phosphorus loss by stream transport from a rural watershed: Quantities, processes and sources. J. Envir. Qual. 5: 148–157. CrossRef
- Kalff, J., 1968. Some physical and chemical characteristics of arctic fresh waters in Alaska and Northwestern Canada. J. Res. Bd Can. 25: 2545–2587.
- Kriet, K., B. J. Peterson & T. L. Corliss, 1992. Water and sediment export of the upper Kuparuk River drainage of the North Slope of Alaska. Hydrobiologia 240: 71–81.
- Menzel, D. W. & N. Corwin, 1965. The measurement of total phosphorus in seawater based on the liberation of organically bound fractions by persulfate oxidation. Limnol. Oceanogr. 10: 280–282. CrossRef
- Peterson, B. J., J. E. Hobbie, T. L. Corliss & K. Kriet, 1983. A continuous-flow periphyton bioassay: Tests of nutrient limitation in a tundra stream. Limnol. Oceanogr. 28: 583–591.
- Prentki, R. T., M. C. Miller, R. J. Barsdate, V. Alexander, J. Kelly & P. Coyne, 1980. Chemistry, pp. 76–178. In J. E. Hobbie (ed.), Limnology of Tundra Ponds, Barrow, Alaska. Dowden, Hutchinson and Ross, Inc., Stroudsburg, PA. 514 pp.
- Rigler, F. H., 1979. The export of phosphorus from Dartmoor catchments: A model to explain variation in phosphorus concentrations in streamwater. J. Mar. Biol. Ass. U.K. 59: 659–687. CrossRef
- Shaver, G. R. & F. S. Chapin III, 1980. Response to fertilization by various plant growth forms in an Alaskan tundra: Nutrient accumulation and growth. Ecology 61: 662–675. CrossRef
- Stainton, M. P., M. J. Capel & F. A. J. Armstrong, 1974. The chemical analysis of fresh water. Research and Development Directorate, Freshwater Institute, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Misc. Spec. Pub. No. 25. 119 pp.
- Strickland, J. D. H., 1960. Measuring the production of marine phytoplankton. Bull. Fish. Res. Bd Can. 122: 172 pp.
- Technicon Industrial Systems, 1973. Orthophosphate in water and seawater. Industrial Methods No. 155–71. West Tarrytown, NY.
- Technicon Industrial Systems, 1977. Nitrate and nitrite in water and seawater. Industrial Methods No. 158–71 W/A. West Tarrytown, NY.
- Technicon Industrial Systems, 1978. Ammonia in water and seawater. Industrial Methods No. 154–71 W/B. West Tarrytown, NY.
- Ulrich, A. & P. L. Gersper, 1978. Plant nutrient limitation of tundra plant growth. In L. L. Tieszen (ed.) Vegetation and Production Ecology of an Alaskan Arctic Tundra. Springer-Verlag, NY: 457–480.
- United States Geological Survey, 1979. Water resources data for Alaska. Report AK-79–1. NTIS. Springfield, VA. 365 pp.
- United States Geological Survey, 1980. Water resources data for Alaska. Report AK-80–1. NTIS. Springfield, VA. 373 pp.
- Nitrogen and phosphorus concentrations and export for the upper Kuparuk River on the North Slope of Alaska in 1980
Volume 240, Issue 1-3 , pp 61-69
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors