A computer program for characterizing root system branching patterns
- G. M. Berntson
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A computer program is presented which measures the length, branching patterns and distribution of link length within a root system. The program skeletonizes digitized images of root systems, loads these images into a binary tree data structure and uses this data structure to characterize the root systems. Measurements of the root length and topological parameters of root systems of Senecio vulgaris made by hand and by computer program were linearly related, with r2 values greater than 0.99 in all cases.
- Barber, S A 1981 Soil Nutrient Bioavailability: A mechanistic approach. Wiley-Interscience: New York.
- Costigan, P A et al. 1982 Plant and Soil 69, 305–309.
- Diggle, A J 1988 Plant and Soil 105, 169–178.
- Fitter, A H 1985 In Ecological Interactions in Soil. Eds. A H Fitter et al. pp 87–106. Blackwell, Oxford.
- Fitter, A H 1986 Ann. Bot. 58, 91–101.
- Fitter, A H 1987 New Phytol. 106, 61–77.
- Harris, G A and Campbell, G S 1989 Agron. J. 81, 935–938.
- Hetrick, B A et al. 1988 New Phytol. 110, 85–96.
- Hetrick, B A et al. 1991 Can. J. Bot. 69, 112–118.
- Newman, E I 1966 J. Appl. Ecol. 3, 139–145.
- Nye, P H and Tinker, P B 1977 Solute Movement in the Soil-Root System. Blackwell, Oxford.
- Pagés, L et al. 1989 Plant and Soil 119, 147–154.
- Parrish, J A D and Bazzaz, F A 1976 Ecology 57, 1281–1288.
- Richards, D et al. 1979 Plant and Soil 52, 69–76.
- Robinson, D et al. 1991 Plant. Cell Envir. 14, 77–85.
- Rose, D A 1983 Plant and Soil 75, 404–415.
- Sattelmacher, B et al. 1990 Plant and Soil 123, 131–137.
- Smart, J S 1978 Earth Surface Processes 3, 129–170.
- Tennant, D 1975 J. Ecol. 63, 995–1001.
- Voorhees, W B et al. 1980 Agron. J. 72, 347–351.
- Yanuka, M and Elrich, D E 1985 Comput. Electronics Agric. 1, 59–73.
- Zoon, F C and VanTienderen, P H 1990 Plant and Soil 126, 301–308.
- A computer program for characterizing root system branching patterns
Plant and Soil
Volume 140, Issue 1 , pp 145-149
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- binary tree
- branching patterns
- image analysis
- root systems
- Industry Sectors
- G. M. Berntson (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Biological Laboratories, Harvard University, 16 Divinity Avenue, 02138, Cambridge, MA, USA