Effect of dual inoculation of Douglas fir with the ectomycorrhizal fungus Laccaria laccata and mycorrhization helper bacteria (MHB) in two bare-root forest nurseries
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Douglas fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii) seedlings in two bare-root forest nurseries were inoculated with the ectomycorrhizal fungus Laccaria laccata, together or not with one of five mycorrhization helper bacteria isolated from L. laccata sporocarps or mycorrhizas and previously selected by in vitro and glasshouse screenings. With the most efficient MHB isolates, when compared to the control with no bacteria, the percent of mycorrhizal short roots was increased from 60 to 90 or from 80 to 100, depending on the nursery, with inoculation doses as low as 106 living cells per m2. A dual inoculum made of calcium alginate beads containing the two microorganisms appears to be a valuable technique for increasing the efficiency of ectomycorrhizal inoculation of planting stocks in forest nurseries.
- Bowen, G D, Theodorou, D (1979) Interactions between bacteria and ectomycorrhizal fungi. Soil. Biol. Biochem. 11: pp. 119-126
- Cheetham, P S J, Blunt, K W, Bucke, C (1979) Physical studies on cell immobilization using calcium alginate gels. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 21: pp. 2155-2168
- Oliveira, V L, Garbaye, J (1989) Les microorganismes auxiliaires de l'établissement des symbioses ectomycor-hiziennes (revue bibliographique). Eur. J. For. Pathol. 19: pp. 54-64
- Dommergues Y, Diem H G and Divies C 1979 Microbiological process for controlling the productivity of cultivated plant. U.S. Patent no. 4,155,737. 1979, May 22.
- Duchaufour P and Bonneau M 1969 Une méthode nouvelle de dosage du phosphore assimilable dans les sols forestiers. Bulletin de l'Association Française pour l'étude du sol, 4.
- Duponnois, R, Garbaye, J (1991) Some mechanisms involved in growth stimulation of ectomycorrhizal fungi by bacteria. Can. J. Bot. 68: pp. 2148-2152
- Duponnois, R, Garbaye, J (1991) Mycorrhization helper bacteria associated with the Douglas fir-Laccaria laccata symbiosis: Effects in vitro and in glasshouse conditions. Ann. Sci. For. 48: pp. 239-251
- Garbaye, J, Bowen, G D (1987) Effects of different microflora on ectomycorrhizal inoculation of Pinus radiata. Can. J. For. Res. 17: pp. 941-943
- Garbaye, J, Duponnois, R, Wahl, J L (1991) The bacteria associated with Laccaria laccata ectomycorrhizas or sporocarps: Effect of symbiosis establishment on Douglas fir. Symbiosis 9: pp. 267-273
- Jung G, Mugnier J, Dommergues Y and Diem H G 1981 Procédé d'inclusion des microorganismes du groupe des actinorhizes et des mycorhizes. Brevet No.81.04474.
- Tacon, F, Garbaye, J, Bouchard, D, Chevalier, G, Olivier, J M, Guimberteau, J, Poitou, N, Frochot, H Field results from ectomycorrhizal inoculation in France. In: Lalonde, M, Piché, Y eds. (1988) Proc. Canadian Workshop on Mycorrhizae in Forestry. Université Laval, Québec, Canada, pp. 51-74
- Mortier, F, Tacon, F, Garbaye, J (1988) Effect of inoculum type and inoculation dose on ectomycorrhizal development, root necrosis and growth of Douglas fir seedlings inoculated with Laccaria laccata in a nursery. Ann. Sci. For. 45: pp. 301-310
- Pachlewski, R, Pachlewska, J (1974) Studies on symbiotic properties of mycorrhizal fungi of pine (Pinus sylvestris) with the aid of the method of mycorrhizal synthesis in pure culture on agar. Forest Research Institute, Warsaw
- Villeneuve, N, Tacon, F, Bouchard, D (1990) Survival of inoculated Laccaria bicolor in competition with native ectomycorrhizal fungi and effect on the growth of out-planted Douglas fir seedlings. Plant and Soil 135: pp. 95-107
- Effect of dual inoculation of Douglas fir with the ectomycorrhizal fungus Laccaria laccata and mycorrhization helper bacteria (MHB) in two bare-root forest nurseries
Plant and Soil
Volume 138, Issue 2 , pp 169-176
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Laccaria laccata
- Pseudotsuga menziesii
- Industry Sectors