Seasonal variations in nitrous oxide losses from managed grasslands in The Netherlands
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Seasonal and interannual variations in nitrous oxide (N2O) losses from agricultural soils hamper the accurate quantification of the N2O source strength of these soils. This study focuses on a quantification of seasonal and interannual variations in N2O losses from managed grasslands. Special attention was paid to N2O losses during the growing season and off-season as affected by grassland management. Fluxes of N2O from grasslands with three different types of management and on four different soil types in the Netherlands were measured weekly during two consecutive years, using flux chambers. There were distinct seasonal patterns in N2O losses, with large losses during spring, summer, and autumn but relatively small losses during the winter. These seasonal variations were related to fertilizer N application, grazing and weather conditions. Measurements of N2O concentrations in soil profiles showed that a rise in groundwater level was accompanied by increased N2O concentrations in the soil. Disregarding off-season losses would underestimate total annual losses by up to 20%, being largest for unfertilized grassland and smallest for N-fertilized grazed grassland. Total annual N2O losses ranged from 0.5 to 12.9 kg N ha-1 yr-1 for unfertilized grasslands to 7.3 to 42.0 kg N ha-1 yr-1 for N-fertilized grazed grasslands. Despite the considerable interannual variations in N2O losses, this study indicates that the results of measurements carried out in one year have predictive power for estimating N2O losses in other years.
- Beck H and Christensen S 1987 The effect of grass maturing and root decay on N2O production in soil. Plant and Soil 103, 269–273.
- Benckiser G 1994 Relationships between field-measured denitrification losses, CO2 formation and diffusional constraints. Soil Biol. Biochem. 26, 891–899.
- Bouwman A F 1995 Compilation of a global inventory of emissions of nitrous oxide. Ph.D. Thesis, Agricultural University, Wageningen, The Netherlands.
- Bussink D W 1994 Relationships between ammonia volatilization and nitrogen application rate, intake and excretion of herbage nitrogen by cattle on grazed swards. Fert. Res. 38, 111–121.
- Clayton H, Arah J R M and Smith K A 1994 Measurement of nitrous oxide emissions from fertilized grassland using closed chambers. J. Geophys. Res. 99, 599–607.
- Conrad R, Seiler W and Bunse G 1983 Factors influencing the loss of fertilizer nitrogen into the atmosphere as N2O. J. Geophys. Res. 88, 6709–6718.
- Egginton G M and Smith K A 1986 Nitrous oxide emission from a grassland soil fertilized with slurry and calcium nitrate. J. Soil Sci. 37, 59–67.
- Gill K, Jarvis S C and Hatch D J 1995 Mineralization of nitrogen in long-term pasture soils: effects of management. Plant and Soil 172, 153–162.
- Goodroad L L and Keeney D R 1985 Site of nitrous oxide production in field soils. Biol. Fert. Soils 1, 3–7.
- Granli T and Bøckman O C 1994 Nitrous oxide from agriculture. Norw. J. Agric. Sci. Suppl. 12, 128.
- Hansen S and Bakken L R 1993 N2O, CO2 and O2 concentrations in soil air influenced by organic and inorganic fertilizers and soil compaction. Norw. J.Agric. Sci. 7, 1–10.
- Houba V J G, Novozamsky I and Van der Lee J J 1989 Some aspects of determinations of nitrogen fractions in soil extracts. VDLUFA-Schriftenreihe 30, 305–312.
- Keeney D R, Fillery I R and Marx G P 1979 Effect of temperature on the gaseous nitrogen products of denitrification in a silt loam soil. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J 43, 1124–1128.
- Kirkham F W and Wilkins R J 1993 Seasonal fluctuations in the mineral nitrogen content of an undrained wetland peat soil following different rates of fertiliser nitrogen application. Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 43, 11–29.
- MacDuff J H and White R E 1985 Net mineralization and nitrification rates in a clay soil measured and predicted in permanent grassland from soil temperature and moisture content. Plant and Soil 86, 151–172.
- Martikainen P J, Nykänen H, Crill P and Silvola J 1993 Effect of a lowered water table on nitrous oxide fluxes from northern peatlands. Nature 366, 51–53.
- McTaggart I, Clayton H and Smith K A 1994 Nitrous oxide flux from fertilised grassland: strategies for reducing emissions. In Non-CO2 Greenhouse Gases Why and How to Control. Eds. Jvan Ham et al. pp 421–426. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands.
- Mosier A R 1989 Chamber and isotopes techniques. In Exchange of Trace Gases between Terrestial Ecosytems and the Atmosphere. Life Sciences Research Report 47. Eds. M O Andrea and D S Schimel. pp 175–187. John Wiley, Chichester, UK.
- Ryden J C 1983 Denitrification loss from a grassland soil in the field receiving different rates of nitrogen as ammonium nitrate. J. Soil Sci 34, 355–365.
- Ryden J C, Ball P R and Garwood E A 1984 Nitrate leaching from grassland. Nature 311, 50–53.
- Vellinga Th. V, Wouters A P and Hofstede R G M 1996 A system of adjusted nitrogen supply per cut (SANS) for fertilization of grassland. In Progress in Nitrogen Cycling Studies. Eds. Ovan Cleemput, G Hofman and A Vermoesen. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands.
- Velthof G L and Oenema O 1995a Nitrous oxide fluxes from grassland in the Netherlands: I. Statistical analysis of flux chamber measurements. Eur. J. Soil Sci. 46, 533–540.
- Velthof G L and Oenema O 1995b Nitrous oxide fluxes from grassland in the Netherlands: II. Effects of soil type, nitrogen fertilizer application and grazing. Eur. J. Soil Sci. 46, 541–549.
- Watson C J, Jordan C, Taggart P J, Laidlaw A S, Garret M K and Steen R W J 1992 The leaky N-cycle on grazed grassland. In Nitrate and Farming systems, Aspects of Applied Biology 30. Eds. J R Archer et al. pp 215–222. Association of Applied Biologists, Warwick, Australia.
- Webster C P and Dowdell R J 1982 Nitrous oxide emission from permanent grass swards. J. Sci. Food Agric. 33, 227–230.
- Seasonal variations in nitrous oxide losses from managed grasslands in The Netherlands
Plant and Soil
Volume 181, Issue 2 , pp 263-274
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- groundwater level
- nitrogen fertilizer
- nitrous oxide
- seasonal variations
- Industry Sectors