The effect of partial and total drought on the macroinvertebrate communities of three small Danish streams
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Three cases of partial or total drought were studied. A two weeks' stop of water flow with reduced water level and stagnant water was survived by most stream species. Only the population of Baetis rhodani Pict. was almost eliminated.
An unprecedented drought of 2-3 months reduced numbers of stream species. The differential effects are discussed in relationship to the behaviour, life cycle and physiology of the individual species.
After the drought many invaders were found, but most disappeared rapidly. Only Asellus aquaticus L. maintained a population in the stream.
In an intermittent stream with 3–4 months' drought no changes were observed, and many species were the same as those which survived in the second stream.
It is concluded that the consequences of an increasing frequency of drought, for example due to increasing ground water use, will depend on the species normally present and on the season and duration of the drought.
- Ambühl, H. 1959. Die Bedeutung der Strömung als ökologischer Faktor. Schweiz. Z. Hydrol. 21: 133–264.
- Bengtson, J. 1972. Vaekst og Livscyklus hos Nemoura cinerea (Retz.) (Plecoptera). Flora og Fauna 78: 97–101.
- Brittain, J. E. 1974. Studies on the Lentic Ephemeroptera and Plecoptera of Southern Norway. Norsk ent. Tidsskr. 21: 135–154.
- Engelhardt, W. 1951. Faunistisch-ökologische Untersuchungen über Wasserinsekten an den südlichen Zuflüssen des Ammersees. Mitt. münch. ent. Ges. 41: 1–135.
- Hynes, H. B. N. 1958. The effect of drought on the fauna of a small mountain stream in Wales. Verb. int. Verein. theor. angew. Limnol. 13: 826–833.
- Hynes, H. B. N. 1961. The invertebrate fauna of a Welch mountain stream. Arch. Hydrobiol. 57: 344–388.
- Hynes, H. B. N. 1970. The ecology of running waters. Liverpool University Press.
- Khoo, S. G. 1964. Studies on the biology of stonelies. Unpublished thesis, University of Liverpool.
- Lagerspetz, K. & Lehtonen, A. 1961. Humidity reactions of some aquatic isopods in the air. Biol. Bull. 120: 38–43.
- Mann, K. H. 1959. On Trocheta bykowskii Gedroyć, 1931, a leech new to the British fauna, with notes on the taxonomy and ecology of other Erpobdellidae. Proc. zool. Soc. Lond. 132: 369–379.
- Mauch, E. 1963. Untersuchungen über das Benthos der deutschen Mosel mit besonderer Berücksichtigung der Wassergüte. Mitt. zool. Mus. Bert. 39: 3–172.
- Morgan, N. C. & Egglishaw, H. J. 1965. A survey of the bottom fauna of streams in the Scottish Highlands Part I. Composition of the fauna. Hydrobiologia 25: 181–211. CrossRef
- Nielsen, A. 1942. Über die Entwicklung und Biologie der Trichopteren. Arch. Hydrobiol. Suppl. 17: 255–631.
- Thienemann, A. 1923. Die Trichopteren-Fauna der Quellen Holsteins. Zs. Wiss. Insektenbiol. 18.
- Vandkvalitetsinstituttet, 1976. Gudenåundersøgelsen 1973–1975.
- The effect of partial and total drought on the macroinvertebrate communities of three small Danish streams
Volume 60, Issue 3 , pp 235-242
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors