Natural 15N abundance in shrub and tree legumes, Casuarina, and non N2 fixing plants in Thailand
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The leaves and nodules from the shrub and tree legumes, particularly, Aeschynomene spp., Sesbania spp., Mimosa spp. and Leucaena spp., and Casuarina spp. and the leaves from neighbouring non-fixing plants were analyzed for their natural abundances of 15N (δ 15N).
The δ 15N in the leaves of non-fixing plants was +5.9% on average, whereas those from shrub legumes and Casuarina spp. were lower and close to the values of atmospheric N2, suggesting the large contribution of N2 fixation as the N source in these plants. The δ 15N values of the leaves from tree legumes except for Leucaena spp. were between the shrub legumes and non-fixing plants, which suggests that the fractional contribution of fixed N2 in tree legumes may be smaller than that in the shrub legumes. Casuarina spp. was highly dependent on N2 fixation. The δ 15N values of the nodules from most of the shrub legumes investigated were higher than those of the leaves.
- Amarger N et al. 1977 Plant and Soil 52, 269–280.
- Bremner J M 1965 In Methods of Soil Analysis Part 2. Eds C ABlack et al. pp 1149–1178. American Society of Agronomy, Inc., Publisher, Madison, WI.
- Domenach A M et al. 1985 Plant and Soil 118, 51–59.
- Gauthier D et al. 1985 Soil Biol. Biochem. 17, 375–379.
- Hansen A P and Pate J S 1987 J. Exp. Bot. 38, 1446–1458.
- Kohl D H et al. 1989 Plant Physiol. 90, 420–426.
- Norphayati M et al. 1988 Plant and Soil 108, 143–150.
- Rerkasem B et al. 1988 Plant and Soil 109, 125–135.
- Sangina N et al. 1989 Plant and Soil 118, 125–132.
- Shearer G et al. 1982 Plant Physiol. 70, 465–468.
- Yoneyama T 1987a Jap. J. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr. 58, 252–268.
- Yoneyama T 1987b Bull. Natl. Inst. Agrobiol. Resour. 3, 59–87.
- Yoneyama T et al. 1990 Soil Sci. Plant Nutr. (In press).
- Natural 15N abundance in shrub and tree legumes, Casuarina, and non N2 fixing plants in Thailand
Plant and Soil
Volume 128, Issue 2 , pp 287-292
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Aeschynomene spp.
- Casuarina spp.
- Mimosa spp.
- N2 fixation
- δ 15N
- Sesbania spp.
- tree legumes
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Soils and Fertilizers, National Agriculture Research Center, Kannondai 3-1-1, 305, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
- 2. Soil Science Division, Department of Agriculture, Bangkhen, 10900, Bangkok, Thailand