Albionella fabricii n. sp. (Copepoda: Lernaeopodidae) from the gills of Centroscyllium fabricii from the Northwest Atlantic
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Albionella fabricii n. sp. is described from the gills of the black dogfish Centroscyllium fabricii caught off the west coast of Newfoundland. Morphological differences are found in all the female and male appendages between Albionella fabricii n. sp. and A. centroscyllii, another species occurring concurrently on the same host. Female A. fabricii n. sp. can easily be distinguished from its four congeners by the length and structure of the second maxillae and the length of the uropods. A comparison between Albionella fabricii n. sp. and identifiable females of the genus Lernaeopoda is necessary, since both genera differ mainly in the morphology of the male. Two specific characteristics, the number of secondary denticles on the claw of the maxilliped and the number of setae on the exopod of the first maxilla, distinguish females of Albionella from those of Lernaeopoda.
- Castro, R.R. & Baeza, K.H. (1986) Lernaeopoda tenuis n. sp. and Pseudolernaeopoda caudocapta n. g., n. sp. (Copepoda: Lernaeopodidae) parasitic on Triakis maculata (Kner & Steindachner) from the Chilean coast, South Pacific. Systematic Parasitology, 8, 227–233.
- Gray, P. (1926) On the nutrition of the male Lernaeopoda scyllicola. Parasitology, 18, 399–401.
- Hansen, A.V. (1923) Crustacea Copepoda. 2. Copepoda Parasita and Hemiparasita. Danish Ingolf-Expedition, 3, 1–92.
- Kabata, Z. (1964) Redescription of Lernaeopoda centroscyllii Hansen, 1923 (Copepoda: Lernaeopodidae). Journal of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada, 21, 681–689.
- Kabata, Z. (1979) Parasitic Copepoda of British fishes. London: The Ray Society, 468 pp.
- Kabata, Z. (1986) Redescription of and comments on four little-known Lernaeopodidae (Crustacea: Copepoda). Canadian Journal of Zoology, 64, 1852–1859.
- Margolis, L. & Arthur, J.R. (1979) Synopsis of the parasites of fishes of Canada. Bulletin. Fisheries Research Board of Canada, 199, 269 p.
- Shiino, S.M. (1956) Copepods parasitic on Japanese fishes. 12. Family Lernaeopodidae. Report. Faculty of Fisheries of the Prefectural University of Mie, 2, 269–311.
- Albionella fabricii n. sp. (Copepoda: Lernaeopodidae) from the gills of Centroscyllium fabricii from the Northwest Atlantic
Volume 11, Issue 3 , pp 219-225
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links