Multivariate analyses of metrical features in the Lepidapedon elongatum (Lebour, 1908) species-complex (Digenea, Lepocreadiidae) in deep and shallow water gadiform fishes of the NE Atlantic
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
One hundred and eleven Lepidapedon elongatum-like worms from five gadiform fish species in the North Atlantic are compared using multivariate analyses of 22 metrical features. A principal component analysis followed by a discriminant analysis indicate multivariate morphological differences between worms in the different hosts. It is argued that the forms in the five host species, Gadus morhua, Onogadus argentatus, Trachyrhynchus trachyrhynchus, Coryphaenoides (Nematonurus) armatus and Lepidion eques, should be considered separate oioxenic species.
- BMDP Statistical Software (1985) W.J. Dixon (Ed). University of California Press.
- Bray, R. A. (1973) Some digenetic trematodes in fishes from the Bay of Biscay and nearby waters. Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History), (Zoology Series), 26, 149–183.
- Bray, R.A. (1979) Digenea in marine fishes from the eastern seaboard of Canada. Journal of Natural History, 13, 399–431.
- Campbell, R.A., Haedrich, R.L. & Munroe, T.A. (1980) Parasitism and ecological relationships among deep-sea benthic fishes. Marine Biology 57, 301–313.
- Gaevskaya, A.V. & Rodyuk, G.N. (1988) New and rare Trematoda species from deep-sea fishes of the south west Atlantic. Vestnik Zoologii, (5), 11–15 (In Russian).
- Køie, M. (1984) Digenetic trematodes from Gadus morhua L. (Osteichthyes, Gadidae) from Danish and adjacent waters, with special reference to their life-histories. Ophelia, 23, 195–222.
- Køie, M. (1985) On the morphology and life-history of Lepidapedon elongatum (Lebour, 1908) Nicoll, 1910 (Trematoda, Lepocreadiidae). Ophelia, 24, 135–153.
- Lebour, M.V. (1908) Fish trematodes of the Northumberland coast. Report of the Investigations of the Northumberland Sea Fish Commission (1907), 11–57.
- McCauley, J.E. (1968) Six species of Lepidapedon Stafford, 1904 (Trematoda: Lepocreadiidae) from deep-sea fishes. Journal of Parasitology, 54, 496–505.
- Minitab Statistical Software (1989) Release 7. 3081 Enterprise Drive, State College, Pa, USA.
- Reversat, J., Renaud, F. & Maillard, C. (1989) Biology of parasite populations: the differential specificity of the genus Helicometra Odhner, 1902 (Trematoda: Opecoelidae) in the Mediterranean Sea demonstrated by enzyme electrophoresis. International Journal for Parasitology, 19, 885–890.
- Multivariate analyses of metrical features in the Lepidapedon elongatum (Lebour, 1908) species-complex (Digenea, Lepocreadiidae) in deep and shallow water gadiform fishes of the NE Atlantic
Volume 21, Issue 3 , pp 223-232
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links