Nitrogen fixation at phyllospheric level in coniferous plants in Italy
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The results of a three year investigation on phyllospheric nitrogen fixation in Pinus nigra and Pseudotsuga menziesii growing in Central Italy are reported. The highest levels of nitrogen fixation in Pinus nigra and Pseudotsuga menziesii needles were reached during spring in three year old needles (from 6.1 to 7.6 and from 8.1 to 10.2 nmoles of N2 fixed h-1 g-1 needles) collected in the center of the canopy, while the lowest values (less than 1.5 and 3.0 nmoles of N2 fixed h-1 g-1 needles) were detected during summer in young needles collected in the lateral branches (areas more exposed to the light and with low humidity). Microorganisms belonging to the genera Pseudomonas, Bacillus, Achromobacter, Klebsiella and Mycobacterium were isolated from the needles of either Pinus nigra or Pseudotsuga menziesii.
- Balloni W, Favilli F, Messini A and Tredici M 1987 Sulla microflora azotofissatrice della fillosfera del Pino nero (Pinus nigra) in Italia. L'Italia Forestale e Montana, 1, 1–9.
- Balloni W, Favilli F and Giannini R 1988 Phyllospheric nitrogen fixation in Douglas fir in Italy. In Nitrogen Fixation: Hundred Years After. Eds. H Bothe, FDe Bruijn and W E Newton. Gustav Fisher, Stuttgart, New York. 806 p.
- Bond G 1974 Root-nodule symbiosis with actinomyces-like organisms. In The Biology of Nitrogen Fixation. Ed. A Quispel. p 342–378. Amsterdam, North-Holland Pub. Co.
- Bond G 1983 Taxonomy and distribution of non-legume nitrogen-fixing systems. In Biological Nitrogen Fixation in Forest Ecosystems: Foundations and Applications Eds. J C Gordon and C T Wheeler. p 55–87. Martinus Nijhoff/Dr. W. Junk Publishers, The Hague/Boston/London.
- Burris R H 1974 Methodology. In The Biology of Nitrogen Fixation Ed. A Quispel. pp 9–33. Amsterdam, North-Holland Pub. Co.
- Denison W C 1979 Lobaria oregena, a nitrogen fixing lichen in old-growth Douglas fir forests. In Symbiotic Nitrogen Fixation in the Management of Temperate Forests. Eds. J C Gordon, C T Wheeler and D A Perry. pp 266–275. Oregon State University.
- Edmisten J A 1970 Preliminary studies of the nitrogen budget of a tropical rain forest. In USAEC Report Ts d-24270. Eds. H T Odum and R G Pigeon. Book 3, pp 211–215.
- Forman R T 1975 Canopy lichens with blue-green alga: A nitrogen source in a Columbian rain forest. Ecology 56, 1176–1184.
- Granhall U and Lindberg T 1978 Nitrogen fixation in some coniferous forest ecosystems. Ecol. Bull. (Stockholm) 26, 178–182.
- Grier C C, Cole D W, Dryness C T and Fredrickson R L 1974 Nutrient cycling in 37 and 450 year old Douglas fir ecosystems. Coniferous For Biome. Bull. 5, 21–34.
- Hegazi N A, Amer H A and Monib M 1979 Enumeration of N2-fixing spirilla. Soil Biol. Biochem. 11, 437–438.
- Jones K 1970 Nitrogen fixation in the phyllosphere of the Douglas fir, Pseudotsuga douglasii. Ann. Bot. (London) 34, 239–244.
- Jones K 1976 Nitrogen fixing bacteria, in the canopy of conifers in a temperate forest. In Microbiology of Aerial Plant Surface. Eds. C H Dickinson and J Peire. pp 451–463. Academic Press, New York.
- Jones K 1978 The fate of nitrogen fixed by free-living bacteria in temperate coniterous forests. Ecol. Bull. (Stockholm), 26, 199–205.
- Jones K, King E and Eastlick M 1974 Nitrogen fixation by free-living bacteria in the soil and in the canopy of Douglas fir. Ann. Bot. 38, 765–772.
- Krieg N R and Holt J S Eds. 1984 Bergey's Manual of Systematic Bacteriology, 9th Edition, Vol. 1. Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore, London.
- Ovington J D, Hertkamp D and Lawrence D B 1983 Plant biomass and productivity of prairie, savanna, oakwood and maize field ecosystems in Central Minnesota. Ecology 44, 52–62.
- Rennie R J 1981 A single medium for the isolation of acetylene reducing (dinitrogen fixing) bacteria from soils. Can. J. Microbiol. 27, 8–14.
- Ruinen J 1965 The phyllosphere. III. Nitrogen fixation in the phyllosphere. Plant and Soil 22, 375–394.
- Ruinen J 1974 Nitrogen fixation in the phyllosphere. In The Biology of Nitrogen Fixation. Ed. A Quispel. pp 121–167. Amsterdam, North-Holland Pub. Co.
- Sucoff E 1979 Estimate of nitrogen fixation on leaf surface of forest species in Minnesota and Oregon Can. For. Res. 9, 474–477.
- Silvester W B and Bennett K J 1973 Acetylene reduction by roots and associated soil of New Zealand conifers. Soil Biol. Biochem. 5, 171–179.
- Tarrant R F and Trappe J M 1971 The role of Alnus in improving the forest environment. Plant and Soil, Spec. vol. 335–348.
- Todd R L, Meyer R D and Waide J B 1978 Nitrogen fixation in a decidous forest in the south-eastern United States. Ecol. Bull. (Stockholm), 26, 172–177.
- Nitrogen fixation at phyllospheric level in coniferous plants in Italy
Plant and Soil
Volume 128, Issue 1 , pp 91-95
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- nitrogen fixation
- Pinus nigra
- Pseudotsuga menziesii
- Industry Sectors