Estimation of nitrogen saturation on the basis of long-term fertilization experiments
- Eino Mälkönen
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The obvious changes in some properties of forest soil due to atmospheric nitrogen deposition under Finnish conditions were estimated on the basis of long-term fertilization experiments. The experiments were established during the years 1959–1965. Nitrogen fertilization was repeated three to four times. During the study period averaging 23 years, the cumulative amount of fertilizer nitrogen totalled about 400 kg N ha-1. The main results are as follows. Nitrogen addition increased the quantity of organic matter in the humus layer, but has not clear effect on its quality. Nitrogen fertilization did not increase soil acidity.
- Aaltonen V T 1926 Über die Umsetzungen der Stickstoffverbindungen in Waldboden. Summary: The decomposition of nitrogen compounds in woodland soils. Commun. Inst. For. Fenn. 10.
- Berg B 1986 Nutrient release from litter and humus in coniferous forest soils—a mini review. Scand. J. For. Res. 1, 359–369.
- Derome J, Kukkola M and Mälkönen E 1986 Forest liming on mineral soils: Results of Finnish experiments. Nat. Swed. Environ. Prot. Broad. Report 3084, 1–107.
- Halonen O, Tulkki H and Derome J 1983 Nutrient analysis methods. Metsäntutkimuslaitoksen tiedonantoja 121, 1–28.
- Helmisaari H-S and Mälkönen E 1989 The acidity and nutrient content of throughfall and soil leachate in three Scots pine stands. Scand. J. For. Res. 4, 13–28.
- Kukkola M and Saramäki J 1983 Growth response in repeatedly fertilized pine and spruce stands on mineral soils. Commun. Inst. For. Fenn. 114, 1–55.
- Söderström B, Baath E and Lundgren B 1983 Decrease in soil microbial activity and biomasses owing to nitrogen amendments. Can. J. Microb. 29, 1500–1506.
- Viro P J 1953 Loss of nutrients and the natural nutrient balance of the soil in Finland. Commun. Inst. For. Fenn. 41.1.
- Viro P J 1967 Forest manuring on mineral soils. Medd. Norske Skogforsoksv. 85, 111–136.
- Viro P J 1969 Prescribed burning in forestry. Commun. Inst. For. Fenn. 67.7.
- Estimation of nitrogen saturation on the basis of long-term fertilization experiments
Plant and Soil
Volume 128, Issue 1 , pp 75-82
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- forest fertilization
- nitrogen deposition
- nitrogen saturation
- Industry Sectors
- Eino Mälkönen (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Soil Science, The Finnish Forest Research Institute, P.O. Box 18, SF-01301, Vantaa, Finland