Introduction and cage culture of exotic carps and their impact on fish harvested in Lake Begnas, Nepal
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The suitability of exotic carps namely Aristichthys nobilis (Bighead carp), Hypophthalmichthys molitrix (Silver carp), Ctenopharyngodon idellus (Grass carp), Cyprinus carpio (Common carp) and Labeo rohita (Rohu) in a sub-tropical lake was evaluated. The impact of their introduction on native fishes was also studied. After the introduction and cage culture of exotic carps the total harvest reached 92 kg·ha−1; an increase of 266% within eight years. The planktivorous bighead and silver carps were most successful. The harvest of the other three species was poor. Since the introduction of exotic carp the harvest of indigenous fishes declined by 42%. Considering the food habits of these fish, further stocking should be limited to bighead and silver carps to limit the adverse effects on the indigenous species.
- Fernando, C. H., 1977a. Fisheries of natural lakes and man-made reservoir. Proceeding of the Indo-Pacific Fisheries Council 17th Session, Section III: 9–12.
- Fernando, C. H., 1977b. Reservoir fisheries in southeast Asia; Past, present and future. Proceeding of the Indo-Pacific Fisheries Council 17th Session, Section III: 475–489.
- Fernando, C. H., 1980. Fisheries potential of man-made lakes in southeast Asia: some strategies for its optimization. Biotrop. Aniv. Publ. 25–38.
- Fernando, C. H. Reservoirs and lakes of southeast Asia (Oriental Region). In: Taub, F. B. eds. (1984) Lakes and Reservoirs. Elsevier Science Publishers B.V., Amsterdam, pp. 411-446
- Fernando, C. H., Furtado, J. I. (1975) Reservoir fishery resources of southeast Asia. Bulletin of Fisheries Research Station, Department of Fisheries, Ceylon 26: pp. 83-95
- Fernando, C. H., Holčik, J. (1982) The nature of fish communities: an important factor influencing fishery potential and yield of tropical lake and reservoir. Hydrobiologia 97: pp. 127-140
- Fernando, C. H., Holčík, J. (1985) The nature of fish communities, an important factor influencing fishery potential and yield of lake and reservoir: A short summary of concept and its application. Verh. int. Ver. Limnol. 22: pp. 2498-2501
- Ferro, W. (1980) Data on the fishery in Pokhara Valley (Nepal) and their implications for the fishery management. J. Inst. Sc. 3: pp. 221-236
- Ferro, W. (1981/82) Limnology of Pokhara Valley Lakes (Himalayan Region, Nepal) and its implication for fishery and fish culture. J. Nepal Res. Center 5/6: pp. 27-52
- Ferro, W., Swar, D. B. (1978) Bathymetric maps from three lakes in Pokhara Valley (Nepal). J. Inst. Sc. 1: pp. 177-188
- Ferro, W., Badagami, P. R. (1980) On the biology of the commercially important species of fish of Pokhara Valley (Nepal). J. Inst. Sc. 3: pp. 237-250
- Frey, D. G. (1969) A limnological reconnaisance of Lake Lanao. Verh. int. Ver. Limnol. 17: pp. 1090-1102
- Hickel, B. (1973) Limnological investigations in Lakes of the Pokhara Valley, Nepal. Int. Rev. ges. Hydrobiol. 58: pp. 659-672
- Jhingran, V. G. & R. S. V. Pullin, 1985. A hatchery manual for the Common, Chinese and Indian Major Carps. Asian Development Bank, International Center for Living Aquatic Resource Management; 250pp.
- Liu, C. K., Chu, N. S., Wand, T. H. (1955) Piscicultural possibilities of reservoirs upon the headwaters of the Hwai River. Acta Hydrobiol. Sinica 1: pp. 45-56
- Liu, J. K. Lakes of the middle and lower basins of the Chang Jiang (China). In: Taub, F. B. eds. (1984) Lakes and reservoirs. Elsevier Science Publishers B.V., Amsterdam, pp. 331-355
- Lubinski, K. S., Vooren, A., Farabee, G., Janecek, J., Jackson, S. D. (1986) Common carp in the Upper Mississippi River. Hydrobiologia 136: pp. 141-154
- Nakanishi, M. Limnological study in Phewa, Begnas and Rupa lakes. In: Ishida, Y. eds. (1986) Studies on distribution, adaptation and evolution of microorganisms in Nepal Himalyas (Second Report). Kuzo Dogura, Kyoto, pp. 3-13
- Reich, K. (1978) Lake Kinneret fishing in its development. Bamidgeh 30: pp. 37-64
- Swar, D. B., 1980. Present status of limnological studies and research in Nepal. In S. Mori & I. Ikusima (eds) Proceeding of the First Workshop for the Promotion of Limnology in developing countries. Kyoto: 43–47.
- Swar, D. B., Fernando, C. H. (1980) Some studies on the ecology of limnetic crustacean zooplankton in Lakes Begnas and Rupa, Pokhara Valley, Nepal. Hydrobiologia 70: pp. 235-245
- Tapiador, D. D., H. F. Henderson, M. N. Delmendo & H. Tsutsui, 1977. Freshwater fisheries and agriculture in China. FAO Fisheries Technical Paper No. 168; 86pp.
- Zaret, T. M. (1974) The ecology of introduction — A case study from Central American lake. Environmental Conservation 1: pp. 308-309
- Introduction and cage culture of exotic carps and their impact on fish harvested in Lake Begnas, Nepal
Volume 166, Issue 3 , pp 277-283
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Begnas Lake
- Aristichthys nobilis
- Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
- cage culture
- exotic carps
- Pokhara Valley
- Industry Sectors