Variable effects of sediment addition on stream benthos
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Two upper Piedmont streams were studied to determine the effects of road construction, especially sediment inputs. Benthic macroinvertebrate data suggest that the stream community responded to sediment additions in two different ways. Under high flow conditions the benthic fauna occurs mainly on rocky substrates. As sediment is added to a stream the area of available rock habitat decreases, with a corresponding decrease in benthic density. There is, however, little change in community structure. Under low flow conditions, stable-sand areas may support high densities of certain taxa. Density of the benthic macroinvertebrates in these areas may be much greater than the density recorded in control areas, and there are distinct changes in community structure.
- Armitage, P. H. (1978) Downstream changes in the composition, numbers and biomass of bottom fauna in the Tees below Cow Green Resevoir and an unregulated tributary, Maize Beck, in the first five years after impoundment. Hydrobiologia 58: pp. 145-156
- Barton, B. A. (1977) Short-term effects of highway construction on the limnology of a small stream in southern Ontario. Freshwater Biol. 7: pp. 99-108
- Brusven, M. A., Prather, K. V. (1974) Influence of stream sediments on distribution of macrobenthos. J. Ent. Soc. B. C. 71: pp. 25-32
- Chutter, F. M. (1969) The effects of silt and sand on the invertebrate fauna of streams and rivers. Hydrobiologia 34: pp. 54-76
- Dance, K. W., 1978. Macroinvertebrate diversity in two streams as affected by agricultural land use. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the North American Benthological Society, Winnipeg, Manitoba.
- Etnier, D. A. (1972) The effect of annual rechanneling on a stream fish population. Trans Amer. Fish Soc. 101: pp. 372-275
- Gammon, J. R., 1970. The effect of inorganic sediment on stream biota. Water Poll. Contr. Research Ser. 18050DWCl2/70, USEPA.
- Green, R. H., 1977. Some methods for hypothesis testing and analysis with biological monitoring data. In: Biological monitoring of water and effluent quality, ASTM STP 607. J. Cairns, Jr., K. L. Dickson, & G. F. Westlake, eds. p. 200–211.
- Hamilton, J. D. (1961) The effects of sand-pit washings on a stream fauna. Verh. Internat. Verein. Limnol. 14: pp. 439
- Hansen, D. R., 1971. Effects of stream channelization on fishes and bottom fauna in the Little Sioux River, Iowa. Water Resources Res. Inst.; Iowa St. Univ. Completion Rep. ISWRRI-38. 119 pp.
- Hansmann, E. W., Phinney, H. K. (1913) Effects of logging on periphyton in coastal streams in Oregon. Ecology 54: pp. 194-199
- Hart, D. D. (1978) Diversity in stream insects: regulation by rock size and microspatial complexity. Verh. Internat. Verein. Linmol. 20: pp. 1376-1381
- Herbert, D. W., Alabaster, J. S., Dart, M. C., Lloyd, R. (1961) The effect of china-clay wastes on trout streams. Int. J. Air Wat. Pollut. 5: pp. 56-74
- Kinney, W. L., V. E. Pollard & C. E. Hornig, 1978. Comparisons of macroinvertebrate samplers as they apply to streams on semi-arid regions. In: Proceeding of the joint conference on sensing of environmental pollutants.
- Lenat, D. R., D. L. Penrose & K. W. Eagleson, 1979. Biological evaluation of non-point source pollutants in North Carolina streams and rivers. N. C. Division of Environmental Management, 167 pp.
- Luedtke, R. J., Brusven, M. A., Watts, F. J. (1976) Benthic insect community charges in relation to in-stream alterations of sediment-polluted stream. Melanderia 23: pp. 13-39
- May, R. M. (ed), 1976. Theoretical ecology, principles and applications. W. B. Saunders, 317 pp.
- Nutall, P. M., Bielby, G. H. (1973) The effects of china-clay wastes on stream invertebrates. Environ. Pollut. 5: pp. 77-86
- Oschwald, W. R. (1972) Sediment-water interactions. J. Environ. Qual. 1: pp. 360-366
- Pearson, R. G., Jones, N. V. (1975) The effects of dredging operations on the bent hic community of a chalk stream. Biol. Conserv. 8: pp. 273-278
- Pennak, R. W., Gerpen, E D. (1947) Bottom fauna production and physical nature of the substrate in a northern Colorado front stream. Ecology 28: pp. 42-48
- Penrose, D. L. & D. R. Lenat, 1978. Biological studies of several western North Carolina streams and rivers to determine the impact of non-point sources of water pollution. N.C. Division of Environmental Management. 87 pp.
- Pielou, E. C., 1975. Ecological Diversity. John Wiley & Sons. 165 pp.
- Reed, J. R., Jr., 1977. Stream community response to road construction sediments. Va. Water Resources Res. Ctr. Bull. No. 97, 61 pp.
- Ritchie, J. C. (1972) Sediment, fish, and fish habitat. J. Soil Water Conserv. 27: pp. 124-125
- Rosenberg, D. M. & N. B. Snow, 1975. Ecological studies of aquatic organisms in the Mackenzie and Procupine River drainages in relation to sedimentation. Environment Canada, Fisheries and Marine Serv., Tech. Rep. No. 547. 86 pp.
- Sanders, H. C. (1968) Marine benthic diversity: a comparative study. Amer. Nat. 102: pp. 243-381
- Sprules, W. M. (1947) An ecological investigation of stream insects in Algonquin Park, Ontario. Univ. Toronto Stud. Biol. Ser. 56: pp. 1-52
- Tebo, L. B. (1955) Effects of siltation resulting from improper logging on the bottom fauna of a small trout stream in the southern Applachians. Prog. Fish Cult. 17: pp. 64-70
- Tett, P., Gallegos, C., Kelley, M. G., Hornberger, G. H., Cosby, B. J. (1978) Relationship among substrate, flowand benthic microalgal pigment density in the Mechums River, Virginia. Limnol. Ocenaogr. 23: pp. 785-797
- Therriault, J. C., Platt, T. (1978) Spatial heterogeneity of phytoplankton biomass and related factors in the nearsurface waters of an exposed coastal embayment. Limnol. Oceanogr. 23: pp. 888-889
- Woodin, S. A. (1978) Refuges, disturbance and community structure: a marine soft-bottom example. Ecology 59: pp. 274-284
- Variable effects of sediment addition on stream benthos
Volume 79, Issue 2 , pp 187-194
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors