Diel variations of selected physico-chemical parameters in Lake Kissimmee, Florida
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Every two months, diel depth profiles were made of dissolved oxygen, pH, temperature and conductivity at two stations in Lake Kissimmee, Florida, from July 1974 through June 1975. Results suggest that stratification does not occur in the large (137 km2), shallow (mean depth 2.5 m) lake, though steep vertical gradients in these parameters may develop. The data also suggest that when these gradients do occur, they rapidly degenerate at night or under slight wind stress. Since many Florida lakes are relatively shallow (mean depth < 5 m) and topography offers little obstruction to wind action, it is believed that the holomictic condition observed in Lake Kissimmee may be typical of the state's lakes, particularly those in the central portion of the peninsula.
- Begg, G. W. 1970. Limnological observations on Lake Kariba during 1967 with emphasis on some special features. Limnol. Oceanogr. 15: 776–778.
- Conover, C. S. 1972. Water Resources Data for Florida. Part I. Surface Water Records. Vol. 3: Lakes. U.S. Geol. Surv. 212 p.
- Cowell, B. C., Dye, C. W. & Adams, R. C. 1975. A synoptic study of the limnology of Lake Thonotosassa, Florida. Part I. Effects of primary treated sewage and citrus wastes. Hydrobiologia 46: 301–345.
- Czaplewski, R. L. & Parker, M. 1973. Use of a BOD oxygen probe for estimating primary productivity. Limnol. Oceanogr. 18: 152–154.
- Dineen, W. J., Goodrick, R. L., Hallett, D. W. & Milleson, J. F. 1974. The Kissimmee River revisited. Central and Southern Florida Flood Control District in Depth Report 2: 1–12.
- Dunn, J. G. 1967. Diurnal fluctuations of physico-chemical conditions in a shallow tropical pond. Limnol. Oceanogr. 12: 151–154.
- Ganf, G. G. 1974. Diurnal mixing and the vertical distribution of phytoplankton in a shallow equatorial lake (Lake George). J. Ecol. 62: 611–629.
- Goldman, C. R. & Wetzel, R. G. 1963. A study of the primary productivity of Clear Lake, Lake County, California. Ecology 44: 283–294.
- Green, J. 1970. Freshwater ecology of the Mato Grosso, central Brazil. I. The conductivity of some natural waters. J. Natur. Hist. 4: 289–299.
- Henderson-Sellers, B. 1977. The thermal structure of small lakes: The influence of a modified wind speed. Wat. Resour. Res. 14: 791–793.
- Hussainy, S. W. 1967. Studies on the limnology and primary production of a tropical lake. Hydrobiologia 30: 335–352. CrossRef
- Hutchinson, G. E. 1957. A Treatise on Limnology. Vol. I. Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York. 1015 p.
- Khan, A. A., Siddiqui, A. Q. & Nazir, M. 1970. Diurnal variations in a shallow tropical freshwater fish pond in Shahjahanpur, U.P. (India). Hydrobiologia 35: 297–303.
- Marshall, B. E. & Falconer, A. C. 1973. Eutrophication of a tropical African impoundment (Lake McIlwaine, Rhodesia). Hydrobiologia 43: 109–123. CrossRef
- Milleson, J. F. 1975. Progress report, Upper Kissimmee chain of lakes, water quality and benthic invertebrate sampling. Cent. South. Florida Flood Control Dist. Tech. Pub. No. 75–2, W. Palm Beach. 30 p.
- Naguib, M. 1958. Studies on the ecology of Lake Qarun (Faiyum, Egypt). Part I. Kieler Meeresforsch 14: 187–222.
- Neel, J. K. 1963. Impact of reservoirs, p. 575–594. In: D. G. Frey (ed.), Limnology in North America. Univ. Wisconsin Press, Madison.
- Philip, C. B. 1927. Diurnal fluctuations in the hydrogen ion activity of a Minnesota Lake. Ecology 8: 73–89.
- Ryther, J. H. 1956. Photosynthesis in the ocean as a function of light intensity. Limnol. Oceanogr. 1: 61–70.
- Saad, M. A. 1973. Some limnological characteristics of the Nazha Hydrodome near Alexandria, Egypt. Hydrobiologia 41: 477–499. CrossRef
- Shannon, E. E. & Brezonik, P. L. 1972. Limnological characteristics of north and central Florida lakes. Limnol. Oceanogr. 17: 97–110.
- Sreenivasan, A., Soundararaj, R. & Franklin, T. 1975. Diurnal and seasonal changes in a productive shallow tropical pond. Phykos 12: 76–103.
- Strickland, J. D. H. & Parsons, T. R. 1973. A practical handbook of seawater analysis. J. Fish. Res. Bd. Can., Bull. 167. 310 p.
- Talling, J. F. 1965. The photosynthetic activity on phytoplankton in East African lakes. Int. Rev. Gesamten Hydrobiol. 50: 1–32.
- Thomas, J. D. & Ratcliffe, P. J. 1973. Observations on the limnology and primary production of a small man-made lake in the West African savanna. Freshwater Biol. 3: 573–612.
- Vaas, K. F. & Sachlan, M. 1955. Limnological studies on diurnal fluctuations in shallow ponds in Indonesia. Verh. Internat. Verein. Limnol. 12: 309–319.
- Viner, A. B. 1969. The chemistry of the water of Lake George, Uganda. Verh. Internat. Verein. Limnol. 17: 289–296.
- Wetzel, R. G. 1975. Limnology. W. B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia. 743 p.
- Yount, J. L. 1961. A note on stability in central Florida lakes, with discussion of the effect of hurricanes. Limnol. Oceanogr. 6: 322–325.
- Yount, J. L. 1963. South Atlantic states, p. 269–286. In: D. G. Frey (ed.), Limnology in North America. Univ. Wisconsin Press, Madison.
- Diel variations of selected physico-chemical parameters in Lake Kissimmee, Florida
Volume 71, Issue 1-2 , pp 51-60
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Diel variations
- Industry Sectors