Mangrove conservation in relation to overall environmental considerations
- Nelson Marshall
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The role of mangroves, as nursery and feeding areas, in the enrichment of coastal waters, in the stabilization of the shoreline, and in trapping silt and wastes from upland runoff, is repeatedly being threatened by suggestions for reclamation, whether for aquaculture, agriculture, or development projects. Proposals for such alternatives should only be judged after taking into account the environmental subsidies involved, and possible losses in energy transformation steps. Assurance is needed that renewable resources and other environmental capital will not be sacrificed.
- Alongi, D. M., 1990. Effect of mangrove detrital outwelling on nutrient regeneration and oxygen fluxes in coastal sediments of the Central Great Barrier Reef Lagoon. Estuar. coast. Shelf Sci. 31: 581–598.
- Blaber, S. J. M., D. T. Brewer & J. P. Salini, 1989. Species composition and biomass of fishes in different habitats of a tropical northern Australian estuary: their occurrence in the adjoining sea and estuarine dependence. Estuar. coast. Shelf Sci. 29: 509–531.
- Boto, K. G. & J. T. Wellington, 1988. Seasonal variations in concentrations and fluxes of dissolved organic and inorganic materials in a tropical, tidally-dominated, mangrove waterway. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 50: 151–160.
- Chong, V. C., A. Sasekumar, M. U. C. Leh & R. D'cruz, 1990. The fish and prawn communities of a Malaysian coastal mangrove system, with comparisons to adjacent mudflats and inshore waters. Estuar. coast. Shelf Sci. 31: 703–722.
- Jothy, A. A., 1984. Capture fisheries and the mangrove ecosystem. In J. E. Ong & W. K. Gong (eds), Productivity of the Mangrove Ecosystem. Proc. Workshop on Productivity of the Mangrove Ecosystem: Management Implications. University Sains Malaysia, Penang: 129–141.
- Law, W. M., 1984. Productivity of the mangrove ecosystems: management implications for agricultural crops. In J. E. Ong & W. K. Gong (eds), Productivity of the Mangrove Ecosystem. Proc. Workshop on Productivity of the Mangrove Ecosystem:: Management Implications. University Sains Malaysia, Penang: 121–128.
- Martosubroto, P. & N. Naamin. 1977. Relationship between tidal forests (mangroves) and commercial shrimp production in Indonesia. Marine Res. in Indonesia 18: 81–86.
- Morton, R. M., 1990. Community structure, density and standing crop of fishes in a subtropical Australian mangrove area. Mar. Biol. 105: 385–394.
- Nixon, S. W., B. N. Furnas, V. Lee, N. Marshall, J. E. Ong, C. H. Wong, W. K. Gong & A. Sasekumar, 1984. The role of mangroves in the carbon and nutrient dynamics of Malaysia estuaries. In E. Soepadmo, A. N. Rao & D. J. Macintosh (eds). Proc. Asian Symp. on the Mangrove Environment—Research and Management. University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur: 534–544.
- Odum, E. P., 1983. Basic Ecology. Saunders College Publishing, Philadelphia.
- Odum, H. T. & J. E. Arding, 1991. Emergy analysis of shrimp mariculture in Ecuador. Prepared for the Coastal Resources Center, Univ. of Rhode Island, 114 pp.
- Ong, J. E., 1982. Mangroves and aquaculture. Ambio. 11: 252–257.
- Rodelli, M. R., J. N. Gearing, P. J. Gearing, N. Marshall & A. Sasekumar, 1984. Stable isotope ratio as a tracer of mangrove carbon in Malaysian ecosystems. Oecologia 61: 326–333.
- Sasekumar, A. & V. C. Chong, 1987. Mangroves and prawns: further perspectives. In A. Sasekumar, S. M. Phang & E. L. Chong (eds). Proc. 10th Annual Seminar Malaysian Society of Marine Sciences, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur: 10–22.
- Thong, K. L., A. Sasekumar & N. Marshall, 1992. Nitrogen concentrations in a mangrove creek with a large tidal range, Peninsular Malaysia. Hydrobiologia (in press).
- Turner, R. E., 1977. Intertidal vegetation and commercial yields of penaeid shrimp. Trans. am. Fish. Soc. 106: 411–416. CrossRef
- Turner, R. E. & D. F. Boesch, 1987. Aquatic animal production and wetland relationships: insights gleaned following wetland loss or gain. In B. Hook (ed.), Ecology and Management of Wetlands: 25–39.
- Turner, R. E. & N. May, 1977. An alternative evaluation of the fisheries value of tropical and subtropical wetlands. Proc. Fourth Internatl Symp. on Tropical Ecol. 3: 836–852.
- Twilley, R. R., 1985. The exchange of organic carbon in basin mangrove forests in a Southwest Florida estuary. Estuar. coast Shelf Sci. 20: 543–557.
- Twilley, R. R., 1988. Coupling of mangroves to the productivity of estuarine and coastal waters. In B. O. Jansson (ed.), Coastal-offshore Ecosystem Interactions. Lecture Notes on Coastal and Estuarine Studies 22. Springer-Verlag, Berlin: 155–180.
- Mangrove conservation in relation to overall environmental considerations
Volume 285, Issue 1-3 , pp 303-309
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- alternate uses and environmental subsidies
- Industry Sectors
- Nelson Marshall (1) (2)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Professor Emiritus of Oceanography and Marine Affairs, University of Rhode Island, 21613, Cambridge, MD, USA
- 2. Adjunct Professor Horn Point Environmental Laboratory, University of Maryland, 21613, Cambridge, MD, USA