Ethology and ecology of cichlid fishes of the genus Etroplus in Sri Lanka: preliminary findings
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The Asian cichlid fishes, Etroplus maculatus (Bloch) and E. suratensis (Bloch) were observed in their natural habitat. Ecological and behavioral interactions of these species have not been previously reported. E. suratensis benefits from being cleaned by E. maculatus; it is doubtful the ingestion of parasites and fungi is of much direct benefit to E. maculatus. The advantage to E. maculatus is more likely the survival and reproductive success of adult E. suratensis which in turn provide eggs and eleutheroembryos for the egg-young predatory habit of E. maculatus. Predation is lessened by age-specific crypticity of E. suratensis. E. maculatus displays a unique behavior during its parental cycle where both parents actively defend their young until they are nearly sexually mature and almost the size of the parents. Adult E. suratensis engage in altruistic multiple parental care where several adults care for a single brood that presumably were spawned by only two of the adults. Such behavior has not been reported previously for fish.
- Baerends, G. P. & J. M. Baerends-van Roon. 1950. An introduction to the study of the ethology of cichlid fishes. Behavior Suppl. 1: 1–242.
- Balon, E.K. 1975. Terminology of intervals in fish development. J. Fish. Res. Board Can. 32: 1663–1670.
- Barlow, G.W. 1968. Effect of size of mate on courtship in a cichlid fish, Etroplus maculatus. Comm. Behav. Biol. 2: 149–160.
- Barlow, G.W. 1970. A test of appeasement and arousal hypotheses of courtship behavior in a cichlid fish, Etroplus maculatus. Z. Tierpsychol. 27: 779–806.
- Barlow, G.W. 1974. Contrasts in social behavior between Central American cichlid fishes and coral-reef surgeon fishes. Amer. Zool. 14: 9–34.
- Brown, J.L. 1974. Alternate routes to sociality in jays — with a theory for the evolution of altruism and communal breeding. Amer. Zool. 14: 63–80.
- Cole, J.E. & D.E. Minnier. 1973. Parental influence on the larval and early post-larval development of young Etroplus maculatus. Proc. Penn. Acad. Sci. 47: 117–121.
- Cole, J.E. & J.A. Ward. 1969. The communicative function of pelvic fin-flickering in Etroplus maculatus (PiscesCichlidae). Behavior 36: 1–31.
- Cole, J.E. & J.A. Ward. 1970. An analysis of parental recognition of the young of the cichlid fish, Etroplus maculatus (Bloch). Z. Tierpsychol. 27: 156–176.
- Collias, N.E., J.K. Victoria & R.J. Shallenberger. 1971a. Social facilitation in weaverbirds: importance of colony size. Ecology 52: 823–828.
- Collias, N.E., M. Brandman, J.K. Victoria, L.F. Kiff & C.E. Rischer. 1971b. Social facilitation of nestbuilding in experimental colonies of a weaverbird: effects of varying the sex ratio. Ecology 52: 829–836.
- Crook, J.H. 1965. The adaptive significance of avian social organization. Symp. Zool. Soc. London 14: 181–218.
- Darling, F.F. 1952. Social organization and survival. Auk 69: 183–191.
- Eberhard, M.J.W. 1975. The evolution of social behavior by kin selection. Quant. Rev. Biol. 50: 1–34.
- Ewer, R.F. 1968. The ethology of mammals, pp. 234–285. Plenum Publishing Co., New York.
- Fryer, G. & T.D. Iles. 1972. The cichlid fishes of the great lakes of Africa, pp. 60–104. T.F.H. Publications, Neptune City, New Jersey.
- Hailman, J.P. 1964: Breeding synchrony in the equatorial swallowtailed gull. Amer. Nat. 98: 79–83.
- Hartog, C. den. 1970. The sea grasses of the world. North-Holland Publishing, Amsterdam. 275 pp.
- Kuzo, G.B. 1974. An analysis of digging behavior for the orange chromide, Etroplus maculatus (Pisces: Cichlidae). Master's thesis, Illinois State University, Normal. 145 pp.
- Lack, D. 1968. Ecological adaptations for breeding in birds, pp. 72–81. Methuen & Co., London.
- McKaye, K.R. 1975. Defense of a predator's young by an herbivorous fish. Paper presented at the Meeting of the Animal Behavior Society, Wilmington, N.C. (mimeographed abstract).
- Quertermus, C.J. & J.A. Ward. 1969. The development and significance of two motor patterns used in contacting the parents of young orange chromides, Etroplus maculatus (Pisces-Cichlidae). Anim. Behav. 17: 624–635.
- Radda, A.C. 1973. The Austrian-Ceylonese hydrobiological mission, 1970- XV Collection of fishes (Osteichthyes). Bull. Fish. Res. Sta., Sri Lanka 24: 135–151.
- Rasa, O.A.E. 1969. The effect of pair isolation on reproductive success in Etroplus maculatus (Cichlidae). Z. Tierpsychol. 26: 846–852.
- Simonds, P.E. 1974. The social primates, pp. 108–133. Harper & Row, New York.
- Sjolander, S. 1972. Feldbeobachtunges an einigen westafrikanischen Cichliden. Aquarien and Terrarien 19: 42–45.
- Skutch, A. 1961. Helpers among birds. Condor. 63: 198–226.
- Southwich, C.H. and M.F. Siddigi. 1974. Contrasts in primate social behavior. Biosci. 24: 398–406.
- Ward, J.A. & G.W. Barlow. 1967. The maturation and regulation of glancing off the parents by young orange chromides (Etroplus maculatus: Pisces-Cichlidae). Behavior 29: 1–56.
- Ward, J.A. & R.L. Wyman. 1975. The cichlids of the resplendent isle. Oceans 8: 42–47.
- Wilson, E.O. 1975. Sociobiology, the new synthesis, pp. 106–129. Harvard University Press.
- Wyman, R.L. 1974. Development of behavior in the cichlid fishes Etroplus maculatus and E. suratensis. Ph.D. Dissertation, Illinois State University, Normal, 284 pp.
- Wyman, R.L. & J.A. Ward. 1972. A cleaning symbiosis between the cichlid fish, Etroplus maculatus and E. suratensis. Part I: Description and possible evolution. Copeia 1972: 834–838.
- Wyman, R.L. & J.A. Ward. 1973. The development of behavior in the cichlid fish, Etroplus maculatus (Bloch). Z. Tierpsychol. 33: 461–491.
- Ethology and ecology of cichlid fishes of the genus Etroplus in Sri Lanka: preliminary findings
Environmental Biology of Fishes
Volume 2, Issue 2 , pp 137-145
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Prolonged parental care
- Multiple parental care
- Etroplus maculatus
- Etroplus suratensis