Effect of regurgitation on stomach content data of marine fishes
- Ray E. Bowman
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Observations on trawl caught fishes from two bottom depth ranges in Southern New England shelf waters provide evidence that some species regurgitate at different rates when sampled at various depths and further, that fish which regurgitate can't always be detected by external or internal examination. Generally, gadoid fishes are much more prone to regurgitate than flatfish. The consequence of unrecognized regurgitation is discussed in relation to consumption estimates derived by traditional methods.
- Anonymous. 1983. Status of the fishery resources off the northeastern United States for 1982. NOAA Tech. Mem. NMFSF/NEC-22. U.S. Dept. Comm., NOAA, NMFS, Northeast Fisheries Center, Woods Hole, MA 02543. 128 pp.
- Bowen, S.H. Quantitative description of the diet. In: Nielsen, L.A., Johnsoned, D.L. eds. (1983) Fisheries Techniques. American Fisheries Society, Bethesda, pp. 325-336
- Bowman, R.E. 1980. Food of northwest Atlantic juvenile haddock. M.A. Thesis, Bridgewater State College, Bridgewater. 95 pp.
- Bowman, R.E. 1981. Examination of known and potential causes of variation in fish feeding studies. U.S. Nat. Fish. Serv., Northeast Fish. Ctr., Woods Hole, MA 02543. Woods Hole Lab. Ref. Doc. No. 81–23. 29 pp.
- Bowman, R.E. (1984) Food of silver hake, Merluccius bilinearis. U.S. Fish Bull. 82: pp. 21-35
- Bowman, R.E., Bowman, E.W. (1980) Diurnal variation in the feeding intensity and catchability of silver hake (Merluccius bilinearis). Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 37: pp. 1565-1572
- Bowman, R.E. & W.L. Michaels. 1984. Food of seventeen species of northwest Atlantic fish. NOAA Tech. Mem. NMFS-F/NEC-28.183 pp.
- Daan, N. (1973) A quantitative analysis of the food intake of North Sea cod, Gadus morhua. Neth. J. Sea Res. 6: pp. 479-517
- Daan, N. (1984) The ICES stomach sampling project in 1981: Aims, outline and some results. Leningrad, USSR
- Durbin, E.G., Durbin, A.G., Langton, R.W., Bowman, R.E. (1983) Stomach contents of silver hake, Merluccius bilinearis and Atlantic cod, Gadus morhua and estimation of their daily rations. U.S. Fish. Bull. 81: pp. 437-454
- Edwards, R.L., Bowman, R.E. Food consumed by continental shelf fishes. In: Clepper, H. eds. (1979) Predator-Prey Systems in Fisheries Management. Sport Fishing Institute, Washington, D.C, pp. 387-406
- Elliott, J.M., Persson, L. (1978) The estimation of daily rates of food consumption for fish. J. Anim. Ecol. 47: pp. 977-991
- Grosslein, M.D., Langton, R.W., Sissenwine, M.P. (1980) Recent fluctuations in pelagic fish stocks of the northwest Atlantic, Georges Bank region, in relation to species interactions. Rapp. P.-v. Reun. Cons. Int. Explor. Mer 177: pp. 374-404
- Grosslein, M.D., Azarovitz, T.R. (1982) Fish distribution. N.Y. Sea Grant Inst., Albany
- Lagler, K.F., Bardach, J.E., Miller, R.R. (1962) Ichthyology. John Wiley & Sons, New York
- Livingston, P.A. (1983) Food habits of Pacific whiting, Merluccius productus off the west coast of North America, 1967 and 1980. U.S. Fish Bull. 81: pp. 629-636
- Pennington, M., Bowman, R.E., Langton, R.W. Variability of the weight of stomach contents of fish and its implications for food studies. In: Cailliet, G.M., Simenstad, C.A. eds. (1982) Gutshop '81, Fish Food Habits Studies. Washington Sea Grant Publ., University of Washington, Seattle, pp. 2-7
- Pennington, M. 1984. Estimating the average food consumption by fish in the field from stomach contents data. Int. Con. Explor. Sea, C.M./H: 28. 11 pp.
- Sissenwine, M.P. Why do fish populations vary?. In: May, R. eds. (1984) Exploitation of Marine Communities. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, pp. 59-94
- Effect of regurgitation on stomach content data of marine fishes
Environmental Biology of Fishes
Volume 16, Issue 1-3 , pp 171-181
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Daily ration
- Silver hake
- Spiny dogfish
- Red hake
- Ray E. Bowman (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. National Marine Fisheries Service, Northeast Fisheries Center, Woods Hole Laboratory, Woods Hole, MA, 02543, USA