The life history of the tropical shad Tenualosa toli from Sarawak: first evidence of protandry in the Clupeiformes?
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Sharp declines in catches prompted a detailed study of the commercially and culturally important ‘terubok’ Tenualosa toli, which lives in the fast-flowing, turbid estuaries and adjacent shallow coastal waters of Sarawak. Its reproduction, diet, age and growth were investigated. An absence of small females and large males, together with histological data showing transitional gonads, suggest that T. toli is a protandrous hermaphrodite. Ageing based on otoliths indicates that individuals may not live more than about two years. Male fish spawn towards the end of their first year, change sex (transitional gonads were recorded in fish from 14 to 31 cm SL) and spawn as females in their second year. Spawning takes place in the middle reaches of estuaries and females deposit all their eggs at once. Fecundity is linearly related to fish length but shows significant seasonal and site variations. Hermaphroditism is discussed in relation to possible environmental and isolating mechanisms. T. toli is a zooplanktivore eating mainly calanoid copepods. Laser-ablation inductively-coupled plasma mass spectroscopy of trace elements across otoliths revealed that the species does not move into full seawater or freshwater, but completes its life cycle in estuarine and adjacent coastal waters. Therefore T. toli populations in each estuary and adjacent coastal waters may be relatively isolated from one another, and hence particularly susceptible to overfishing.
- Alheit, J. 1988. Reproductive biology of sprat (Sprattus sprattus): factors determining annual egg production. J. Cons. int. Explor. Mer 44: 162–168.
- Assis, C.A., P.R. Almeida, F. Moreira, J.L. Costa & M.J. Costa. 1992. Diet of the twaite shad, Alosa fallax (Lacepede) (Clupeidae) in the River Tagus estuary, Portugal. J. Fish Biol. 41: 1049–1050.
- Chan, S.T.H. & W.S.B. Yeung. 1983. Sex control and sex reversal in fish under natural conditions. pp. 171–222. In: W.S. Hoar, D.J. Randall & E.M. Donaldson (ed.) Fish Physiology, Volume 9, Reproduction, Academic Press, New York.
- Charles-Dominique, E. 1982. Expose synoptique des donnees biologiques sur l'ethmalose (Ethmalosa fimbriata Bowditch 1825). Rev. Hydrobiol. Trop. 15: 373–397.
- Conand, F. 1991. Biology and phenology of Amblygaster sirm. (Clupeidae) in New Caledonia, a sardine of the coral environment. Bull. Mar. Sci. 48: 137–149.
- Creed, R.P. 1985. Feeding, diet, and repeat spawning of blueback herring, Alosa aestivalis, from the Chowan River, North Carolina. U.S. Fish. Bull. 83: 711–716.
- Cyrus, D.P. & S.J.M. Blaber. 1984. The reproductive biology of Gerres in Natal estuaries. J. Fish Biol. 24: 491–504.
- De, D.K. & N.C. Datta. 1990. Studies on certain aspects of the morpho-histology of Indian shad hilsa, Tenualosa ilisha (Hamilton) in relation to food and feeding habits. Ind. J. Fish. 37: 189–198.
- De, D.K. 1980. Maturity, fecundity and spawning of post-monsoon run of hilsa, Hilsa ilisha (Hamilton) in the upper stretches of the Hooghly estuarine system. J. Inland Fish. Soc. India 12: 54–63.
- Dutrieux E. 1991. Study of the ecological functioning of the Mahakam delta (East Kalimantan, Indonesia). Est. Coast. Shelf Sci. 32: 415–420.
- Edmonds, J.S., R.C.J. Lenanton, N. Caputi & M. Morita. 1992. Trace elements in the otoliths of yellow-eye mullet (Aldrichetta forsteri) as an aid to stock identification. Fish. Res. 13: 39–51.
- Francis, R.I.C.C. 1988. Are growth parameters estimated from tagging and age-length data comparable? Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 45: 936–942.
- Ghiselin, M.T. 1969. The evolution of hermaphroditism among animals. Quart. Rev. Biol. 44: 189–208.
- Halder, D.D. 1971. Observations on the food of young Hilsa ilisha (Ham.) of the Hooghly estuarine system. J. Bombay. nat. Hist. Soc. 67: 578–583.
- Ingram, B.L. & D. Sloan. 1992. Strontium isotopic composition of estuarine sediments as paleosalinity-paleoclimate indicator. Science 255: 68–72.
- Jennings, S. & R.J.H. Beverton. 1991. Intraspecific variation in the life history tactics of Atlantic herring (Clupea harengus) stocks. ICES J. Mar. Sci. 48: 117–125.
- Jones, S. & P.M.G. Menon. 1951. Observations on the life-history of the Indian shad, Hilsa ilisha (Hamilton). Proc. Indian Acad. Sci. 23: 101–125.
- Kalish, J.M. 1989. Otolith microchemistry: validation of the effects of physiology, age and environment on otolith composition. J. Exp. mar. Biol. Ecol. 132: 151–178.
- Kalish, J.M. 1990. Use of otolith microchemistry to distinguish the progeny of sympatric anadromous and non-anadromous salmonids. U.S. Fish. Bull. 88: 657–666.
- Kawasaki, T. 1980. Fundamental relations among the selections of life-history in marine teleosts. Bull. Japan Soc. Sci. Fish. 46: 289–293.
- McDowall, R.M. 1988. Diadromy in fishes. Croom Helm, London. 308 pp.
- Mennesson-Boisneau, C., P. Boisneau & J-L. Bagliniere. 1986. Premieres observations sur les caracteristiques biologiques des adultes des grande alose (Alosa alosa L.) dans le cours moyen de la Loire. Acta Oecol. 7: 337–353.
- Milton, D.A., S.J.M. Blaber & N.J.F. Rawlinson. 1993. Age and growth of three species of tuna baitfish (genus Spratelloides) in the tropical Indo-Pacific. J. Fish Biol. 39: 849–866.
- Milton, D.A., S.J.M. Blaber & N.J.F. Rawlinson. 1993. Age and growth of three tropical clupeids from Kiribati, central south Pacific. J. Fish Biol. 43: 89–108.
- Moula, G., M.J. Rahman & M.A. Mazid. 1991. Observations on the maturity and spawning of Indian shad, Tenualosa ilisha (Hamilton) of the River Meghna, Bangladesh. J. Zool. Bangladesh 6: 109–117.
- Nelson, J.S. 1984. Fishes of the world. John Wiley & Sons, New York. 523 pp.
- Nigro, A.A. & J.J. Ney. 1982. Reproduction and early-life accommodations of landlocked alewives to a southern range extension. Trans. Amer. Fish. Soc. 111: 555–569.
- Pang, S.C. 1991. Stock assessment of the Hilsa toli fishery and its management implications in the batang Lupar estuary, Sarawak, Malaysia. M.Sc. Thesis, University of York, York. 113 pp.
- Pillay, S.R. & K.K. Rao. 1962. Observations on the biology and fishery of the hilsa, Hilsa ilisha (Ham.) of river Godavari. Proc. Indo-Pac. fish. Council 10: 37–61.
- Pillay, T.V.R. 1967. Estuarine fishes of the Indian Ocean coastal zone. pp. 647–657. In: G.H. Lauff (ed.) Estuaries, American Association for the Advancement of Science, Publication 83, Washington.
- Radtke, R.L. 1989. Strontium-calcium concentration ratios in fish otoliths as environmental indicators. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 92A: 189–193.
- Radtke, R.L., D.W. Townsend, S.D. Folsom & M.A. Morrison. 1990. Strontium: calcium ratios in otoliths of herring larvae as indicators of environmental histories. Env. Biol. Fish. 27: 51–61.
- Rajyalakshmi, T. 1973. The population characteristics of the godavary hilsa over the years 1963–1967. Ind. J. Fish. 20: 78–94.
- Reinboth, R. 1980. Can sex inversion be environmentally induced? Biol. Reprod. 22: 49–59.
- Ross, R.M. 1990. The evolution of sex-change mechanisms in fishes. Env. Biol. Fish. 29: 81–93.
- Sadovy, Y. & K.P. Severin. 1994. Elemental patterns in red hind (Epinephelus guttatus) otoliths from Bermuda and Puerto Rico reflect growth rate, not temperature. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 51: 133–141.
- Sadovy, Y. & D.Y. Shapiro. 1987. Criteria for the diagnosis of hermaphroditism in fish. Copeia 1987: 136–156.
- Sinis, A.I. & M.E. Kattoulas. 1986. Population structure of Alosa macedonica (Vinciguerra, 1921) (Pisces: Clupeidae) in Lake Volvi (Macedonia, Greece). Cybium 10: 91–101.
- Warner, R.T. 1988. Sex change in fishes: hypotheses, evidence and objections. Env. Biol. Fish. 22: 81–90.
- Whitehead, P.J.P. 1985. FAO species catalogue 7: clupeoid fishes of the world (Clupeoidei) UNDP, FAO, Rome. 303 pp.
- Williams, V.R. & T.A. Clarke. 1983. Reproduction, growth and other aspects of the biology of the gold-spot herring Herklotsichthys quadrimaculatus (Clupeidae), a recent introduction to Hawaii. U.S. Fish. Bull. 81: 587–597.
- Yamamoto, T. 1969. Sex differentiation. pp. 117–177. In: W.S. Hoar & D.J. Randall (ed.) Fish Physiology, Volume 3, Reproduction and growth, Academic Press, New York.
- The life history of the tropical shad Tenualosa toli from Sarawak: first evidence of protandry in the Clupeiformes?
Environmental Biology of Fishes
Volume 46, Issue 3 , pp 225-242
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. CSIRO Division of Fisheries, Marine Laboratories, P.O. Box 120, Cleveland, Queensland, 4163, Australia
- 2. Inland Fisheries Branch, Ministry of Agriculture & Community Development, Kompleks Negeri, JI Simpang Tiga, 93632, Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia
- 3. PPES Santubong (Sdn Bhd), SEDC, P.O. Box 400, 93902, Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia