Transport of alpha-tocopherol in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) during vitellogenesis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The transport of α-tocopherol was studied during vitellogenesis in Atlantic salmon that were fed diets with two levels of α-tocopherol. α-Tocopherol levels were measured in the flesh, liver, ovary and serum, and in the serum the α-tocopherol levels in the very low density lipoprotein (VLDL), low density lipoprotein (LDL), high density lipoprotein (HDL) and very high density lipoprotein (VHDL or vitellogenin) were also measured.
Atlantic salmon store α-tocopherol mainly in their flesh because the muscle mass comprises 50% or more of live weight. During vitellogenesis the α-tocopherol content declined to about 10% of the level prior to maturation. The relative range of level of α-tocopherol in the lipoproteins was: HDL> LDL> VLDL> VHDL, irrespective of dietary levels of α-tocopherol.
From the recent knowledge on lipid transport during vitellogenesis and the present data, we hypothesize that α-tocopherol is transported from peripheral tissues to liver by HDL and further transported from liver to ovary by LDL. Vitellogenin appears to play a minor role in the transportation of vitamin E to the ovary.
- Ando, S., Takeyama, T., Hatano, M. and Zama, K. 1985. Carotenoid-carrying lipoproteins in the serum of chum salmon (Oncorhynchus keta) associated with migration. Agricult. Biol. Chem.: 49: 2185–2187.
- Ando, S., Takeyama, T. and Hatano, M. 1986. Isolation and characterization of a carotenoid-carrying lipoprotein in serum of chum salmon (Oncorhynchus keta) during spawning migration. Agricult. Biol. Chem. 50: 907–914.
- Aviram, A. 1983. Plasma lipoprotein separation by discontinues density gradient ultracentrifugation in hyperlipo-proteinemic patients. Biochem. Med. 30: 111–118. CrossRef
- Babin, P.J. and Vernier, J-M. 1989. Plasma lipoprotein in fish. J. Lipid Res. 30: 467–489.
- Bjørnebo, A., Bjørnebo, G-E.A., Hagen, B.F., Nossen, J.O. and Drevon, C.A. 1987. Secretion of α-tocopherol from cultured rat hepatocytes. Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 992: 199–205.
- Cohn, W., Loechleiter, F. and Weber, F. 1988. Alphatocopherol is secreted from rat liver in very low density lipoproteins. J. Lipid Res. 29: 1359–1366.
- Cohn, W., Gross, P., Grun, H., Loechleiter, F., Muller, D.P.R. and Zulauf, M. 1992. Tocopherol transport and absorption. Proc. Nutr. Soc. 51: 179–188. CrossRef
- De Vlaming, V., Wiley, H.S., Delahunty, G. and Wallace, R. 1980. Goldfish (Carassius auratus) vitellogenin: induction, isolation, properties and relationship to yolk proteins. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 67B: 613–623. CrossRef
- Gallo-Torres, H.E. 1980. Transport and Metabolism.In Vitamin E, A Comprehensive Treatise. pp. 193–271. Edited by L.J. Machlin. Marcell Dekker, Inc., New York.
- Gjøen, T. and Berg, T. 1992. Metabolism of low density lipoproteins in rainbow trout. Fish Physiol. Biochem. 9: 453–461. CrossRef
- Gjøen, T. and Berg, T. 1992. Interaction of low density lipoproteins with liver cells in rainbow trout. Fish Physiol. Biochem. 10: 465–473. CrossRef
- Gotto, A.M., Pownall, H.J. and Havel, R.J. 1986. Introduction to the plasma lipoproteins. Methods Enzymol. 128: 3–41.
- Havel, R.J., Eder, H.A. and Bragdon, J.H. 1955. The distribution and chemical composition of ultra-centrifugally separated lipoproteins in human serum. J. Clin. Invest. 34: 1345–1353.
- Hung, S.S.O., Moon, T.W., Hilton, J.W. and Slinger, S.J. 1982. Uptake, transport and distribution of DL-α-tocopherol acetate compared to D-α-tocopherol in rainbow trout (Salmo gairdneri). J. Nutr. 112: 1590–1599.
- Kayden, H.J. and Traber, M.G. 1993. Absorption, lipoprotein transport and regulation of plasma concentrations of vitamin E in humans. J. Lipid Res. 34: 343–358.
- Lambertsen, G. 1983. Some comments on the analysis of fat soluble vitamins in fish products by HPLC-chromatography. In Proc. 12th Scand. Lipid Symp. pp. 21–26. Gothenburg, Sweden.
- Lie, Ø., Sandvin, A. and Waagbø, R. 1993. Influence of dietary fatty acids on the lipid composition of lipoprotein in farmed Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Fish Physiol. Biochem. 12: 249–260.
- Nakamura, K., Hata, M. and Hata, M. 1985. A study on astaxanthin in salmonOncorhynchus keta serum. Bull. Jap. Soc. Sci. Fish. 51: 979–983.
- Sheridan, M.A. 1988. Lipid dynamics in fish: Aspects of absorption, transportation, deposition and mobilization. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 90B: 679–690. CrossRef
- Traber, M.G., Olivecrona, T. and Kayden, H.J. 1985. Bovine milk lipoprotein lipase transfers tocopherol to human fibroblasts during triglyceride hydrolysis in vitro. J. Clin. Invest. 75: 1729–1734. CrossRef
- Waagbø, R. and Sandnes, K. 1988. Determination of vitellogenin in serum of rainbow trout (Salmo gairdneri) by high performance gel permeation chromatography. J. Chromatog. 42: 138–143.
- Transport of alpha-tocopherol in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) during vitellogenesis
Fish Physiology and Biochemistry
Volume 13, Issue 3 , pp 241-247
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Atlantic salmon
- dietary influence