Home range, movements, and density of the central stoneroller, Campostoma anomalum, in a small Ohio stream
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A population of central stonerollers, Campostoma anomalum, in Harker's Run, Butler County, Ohio U.S.A., was examined during autumn, 1980, to determine the species' movements, density, and home range size. During the study period, 170 fish were marked by fin clips and released into the specific pool or riffle where they were captured within the 187 m study section. Eighty percent of the recaptured, marked fish (20) were recaptured in their initial capture area (specific pool or riffle). No fish moved more than 135 m from its original capture area. Density estimates of C. anomalum for each pool and riffle within the study section ranged from 0.10–3.91 fish m−2 (mean = 1.25 fish m−2). Home range size was estimated to be 35.2 ± 14.1 m (mean ± 95% CI) of stream length. Campostoma anomalum in Harker's Run occurred at densities similar to those reported for the species in other streams, and their home ranges in this system were of similar size to those of other small, stream-dwelling fishes.
- Barber, W.E., Minckley, W.L. (1971) Summer foods of the cyprinid fish Semotilus atromaculatus. Trans. Amer. Fish. Soc. 100: pp. 283-289 CrossRef
- Berra, T.M. 1973. A home range study of Galaxias bongbong in Australia. Copeia 1973: 363–366.
- Berra, T.M., Gunning, G.E. (1972) Seasonal movement and home range of the longear sunfish, Lepomis megalotis (Rafinesque) in Louisiana. Amer. Midl. Nat. 88: pp. 368-375 CrossRef
- Brown, L. & J.F. Downhower. 1982. Summer movements of mottled sculpins Cottus bairdi (Pisces: Cottidae). Copeia 1982: 450–453.
- Burr, B.M. Campostoma anomalum (Rafinesque), stone-roller. In: Lee, D.S. eds. (1980) Atlas of North American Freshwater Fishes. North Carolina State Museum of Natural History, Raleigh, pp. 143-144
- Fowler, J.F., Taber, C.A. (1985) Food habits and feeding periodicity in two sympatric stonerollers (Cyprinidae). Amer. Midl. Nat. 113: pp. 217-224 CrossRef
- Gerking, S.D. (1950) Stability of a stream fish population. J. Wildl. Mgmt. 14: pp. 193-202
- Gerking, S.D. (1953) Evidence for the concept of home range and territory in stream fishes. Ecology 34: pp. 347-365 CrossRef
- Gunning, G.E., Shoop, C.R. (1963) Occupancy of home range by longear sunfish, Lepomis m. megalotis (Rafinesque), and bluegill, Lepomis m. macrochirus Rafinesque. Anim. Behav. 11: pp. 325-330 CrossRef
- Hill, J. & G.D. Grossman. 1987. Home range estimates for three North American stream fishes. Copeia 1987: 376–380.
- Kraatz, W.C. (1923) A study of the food of the minnow, Campostoma anomalum. Ohio J. Sci. 23: pp. 265-283
- Lennon, R.E., Parker, P.S. (1960) The stoneroller, Campostoma anomalum (Rafinesque), in Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Trans. Amer. Fish. Soc. 89: pp. 263-270 CrossRef
- Logan, S.M. (1963) Winter observations on bottom organisms and trout in Bridger Creek, Montana. Trans. Amer. Fish. Soc. 92: pp. 140-145 CrossRef
- Lotrich, V.A. (1973) Growth, production, and community composition of fishes inhabiting a first, second, and third order stream of eastern Kentucky. Ecology 43: pp. 377-397
- Miller, R.J. 1962. Reproductive behavior of the stoneroller minnow, Campostoma anomalum pullum. Copeia 1962: 407–417.
- Mundahl, .D., Ingersoll, C.G. (1983) Early autumn movements and densities of johnny (Etheostoma nigrum) and fantail (E. flabellare) darters in a southwestern Ohio stream. Ohio J. Sci. 83: pp. 103-108
- Pflieger, W.L. (1975) The fishes of Missouri. Missouri Department of Conservation, Columbia
- Power, M.E., Matthews, W.J. (1983) Algae-grazing minnows (Campostoma anomalum), piscivorous bass (Micropterus spp.), and the distribution of attached algae in a small prairie-margin stream. Oecologia 60: pp. 328-332 CrossRef
- Power, M.E., Matthews, W.J., Stewart, A.J. (1985) Grazing minnows, piscivorous bass, and stream algae: dynamics of a strong interaction. Ecology 66: pp. 1448-1456 CrossRef
- Ricker, W.E. (1975) Computation and interpretation of biological statistics of fish populations. Fish. Res. Board Can. Bull. 191: pp. 382
- Rinne, J.N. (1982) Movement, home range, and growth of a rare southwestern trout in improved and unimproved habitats. N. Amer. J. Fish. Mgmt. 2: pp. 150-157 CrossRef
- Smith, O.R. (1935) The breeding habits of the stoneroller minnow (Campostoma anomalum Rafinesque). Trans. Amer. Fish. Soc. 65: pp. 148-151 CrossRef
- Trautman, M.B. (1981) The fishes of Ohio. Ohio State University Press, Columbus
- Home range, movements, and density of the central stoneroller, Campostoma anomalum, in a small Ohio stream
Environmental Biology of Fishes
Volume 24, Issue 4 , pp 307-311
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Stream fishes