The Lepocreadiidae (Digenea) of fishes from the north-east Atlantic: review of the genusParalepidapedon Shimazu & Shimura, 1984, with a description ofP. williamsi n. sp.
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A new species,Paralepidapedon williamsi, is described from the fishCottunculus microps and an unidentified fish of the suborder Cottoidei in the NE Atlantic Ocean. This species is the first member of the genus to be recognized in the Atlantic Ocean. Its general morphology is similar to that of the other members of the genus, but it is distinguished by its large eggs and the relatively few gland-cells associated with the external seminal vesicle. The genusParalepidapedon, which differs fromNeolepidapedon in the possession of a uroproct, is reviewed and a key to the species given. The genus is considered to include five species.
- BrayR.A. (1987) A revision of the family Zoogonidae Odhner, 1902 (Platyhelminthes: Digenea): Subfamily Lepidophyllinae and comments on some aspects of biology.Systematic Parasitology,9, 83–123.
- BrayR.A. & GibsonD.I. (1986) The Zoogonidae (Digenea) of fishes from the north-east Atlantic.Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History) (Zoology Series),51, 127–206.
- IchiharaA. (1969) On the parasites of fishes and shell-fishes in Sagami Bay. (7) Parasitic helminths inSebastiscus marmoratus (Cuvier).Japanese Journal of Parasitology,18, 419–420.
- IchiharaA. (1986) On the helminths of marine fish in Sagami Bay (II). In: HowellM.J. (Ed.)Parasitology-Quo Vadit? Handbook (saProgram and Abstracts. Sixth International Congress of Parasitology, Brisbane) Canberra: Australian Academy of Science, p. 154.
- MachidaM, IchiharaA & KamegaiS. (1970) Digenetic trematodes collected from the fishes in the sea north of the Tsushima Islands.Memoirs of the National Science Museum, Tokyo,3, 101–112.
- PrudhoeS. & BrayR.A. (1973) Digenetic trematodes from fishes.Reports. B.A.N.Z. Antarctic Research Expedition Series B (Zoology and Botany)8 (10), 195–225.
- SekerakA.D. & AraiH.P. (1977) Some metazoan parasites of rockfishes of the genusSebastes from the northeastern Pacific Ocean.Syesis,10, 139–144.
- ShimazuT. & ShimuraS. (1984)Paralepidapedon g. n. (Trematoda: Lepocreadiidae), with descriptions of metacercariae ofParalepidapedon hoplognathi (Yamaguti, 1938) comb. n. and of two other species from sea urchins.Zoological Science,1, 809–817.
- SkrjabinK.I. & KovalV. (1960) Suborder Allocreadiata Skrjabin, Petrov & Koval, 1958, Part two. Superfamily Lepocreadioidea Cable, 1956.Trematody Zhivotnykh i Cheloveka. Osnovy Trematodologii,18, 13–377 (In Russian; English translation (1965) I.P.S.T., Cat. No. 1426, 7–272).
- YamagutiS. (1938)Studies on the helminth fauna of Japan. Part 21. Trematodes of fishes. IV. Kyôto: S. Yamaguti, 139 pp.
- YamagutiS. (1940) Studies on the helminth fauna of Japan. Part 31. Trematodes of fishes, VII.Japanese Journal of Zoology,9, 35–108.
- The Lepocreadiidae (Digenea) of fishes from the north-east Atlantic: review of the genusParalepidapedon Shimazu & Shimura, 1984, with a description ofP. williamsi n. sp.
Volume 12, Issue 2 , pp 87-92
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links