Velocity and stability of solitary planar travelling wave solutions of intracellular [Ca]2+
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Normal cardiac muscle contraction occurs in response to a rapid rise followed by a slower decay in intracellular calcium concentration. When cardiac muscle cells are loaded with calcium, an intracellular store releases calcium into the cytosol by the process of calcium-induced calcium release (CICR). This release contributes to the rise in intracellular calcium which in turn triggers contraction. We use two qualitative piecewise linear reaction-diffusion models of this behaviour to investigate the speed, stability and waveform of plane waves using singular perturbation techniques.
- Allbritton, N., T. Meyer and L. Stryer (1992). Range of messenger action of calcium ion and inisotol trisphosphate. Science 258, 1812–1815.
- Amundson. J. and D. Clapham (1993). Calcium waves. Curr. Opin. Neurobiol. 3, 375–382. CrossRef
- Beeler, G. W. and H. Reuter (1977). Reconstruction of the action potential of ventricular myocardial fibres. J. Physiol. (Lond.) 268, 177–210.
- Berridge, M. J. (1989). Cell Signalling Through Cytoplasmic Calcium Oscillations in Cell to Cell Signalling: From Theory to Experiments, A. Goldbeter (Ed.), London: Academic Press.
- Bers, D. M. (1991). Excitation Contraction Coupling and Cardiac Contractile Force, London: Academic Press.
- Cheng, H., M. R. Lederer, R. P. Xiao, A. M. Gomez, Y. Y. Zhou, B. Ziman, H. Spurgeon, E. G. Lakatta and W. J. Lederer (1996). Excitation-contraction coupling in heart—new insights from calcium sparks. Cell calcium 20, 129–140. CrossRef
- Chopra, G. C., B. D. Sleeman, A. V. Holden, J. Brindley and D. G. Knapp (1998). Derivation of eikonal approximation using singular perturbation techniques in models of calcium-induced calcium release. IMA J. Maths Applied in Medicine and Biology, submitted.
- Cuthbertson, K. S. R. (1989). Intracellular Calcium Oscillations in Cell to Cell Signalling: From Theory to Experiments, A. Goldbeter (Ed), London: Academic Press.
- De Ferrari, G. M., M. Viol, and E. D’Amato (1995). Distinct patterns of calcium transients during early and delayed after depolarisations induced by isoproterenol in ventricular myocytes. Circulation 91, 2510–2515.
- Difrancesco, D. and D. Noble (1981). A model of cardiac electrical activity incorporating restricted extracellular spaces and the sodium-potassium pump. J. Physiol. (Lond.) 76, 25–26.
- Difrancesco, D. and D. Noble (1985). A model of cardiac electrical activity incorporating ionic pumps and concentration changes. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. 307, 353–398.
- Dupont, G. and A. Goldbeter (1994). Properties of intracellular calcium waves generated by a model based on calcium-induced-calcium-release. Biophys. J. 67, 2191–2204.
- Dupont, G. and A. Goldbeter (1996). Modelling spiral calciumwaves in single cardiac cells: role of the spatial heterogeneity created by the nucleus. Am. J. Physiol. 40, C1390–C1399.
- Fabiato, A. and F. Fabiato (1975). Contractions induced by a calcium-triggered release of calcium from the sarcoplasmic reticulum of single skinned cardiac cells. J. Physiol. (Lond.) 249, 469–495.
- Frampton, J. E., C. H. Orchard and M. R. Boyett (1991). Diastolic, systolic and sarcoplasmic reticulum calcium during inotropic interventions in isolated rat myocytes. J. Physiol. (Lond.) 437, 351–375.
- Goldbeter, A. (1996). Biochemical oscillations and cellular rhythms, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Golovina, V.A., L. V. Rozenshtraukh, B. S. Solo’ev and A. I. Chernaya (1986). Wavelike spontaneous contractions of isolated cardiomyocytes. Biophys. J. 31, 311–318.
- Hilgermann, D. W. and D. Noble (1987). Excitation-contraction coupling and extracellular calcium transients in rabbit atrium: reconstruction of basic cellular mechanisms. Proc. R. Soc. 230, 163–205. CrossRef
- Kuba, K. and S. Takeshita (1981). Simulation of intracellular calcium oscillations in a sympathetic neurone. J. Theor. Biol. 93, 1009–1031. CrossRef
- Lechleiter, J. D. and D. E. Clapham (1992). Spiral waves and intracellular signalling. J. Physiol. (Lond.) 86, 123–128.
- Lipp, P. and M. D. Bootman (1997). To quark or to spark, that is the question. J. Physiol. (Lond.) 502, 1. CrossRef
- Lipp, P. and E. Niggli (1993). Microscopic spiral waves reveal positive feedback in subcellular calcium signalling. Biophys. J. 65, 2272–2276.
- Luo, C.-h. and Y. Rudy (1991). A model of the ventricular cardiac action potential. Circ. Res. 68, 1501–1526.
- Meyer, T. and L. Stryer (1991). Calcium spiking. Annu. Rev. Biophys, Biophys. Chem. 20, 153–174. CrossRef
- Noble, D., A. Varghese, P. Kohl and P. Noble (1998). Improved guinea-pig ventricular cell model incorporating a diadic space, i Kr and i Ks , and length-and tension-dependent processes. Can. J. Card. 14, 123–134.
- Orchard, C. H., M. R. Mustafa and E. White (1995). Oscillations and waves of intracellular calcium in cardiac muscle cells. Chaos, Solitons Fractals 5, 447–458. CrossRef
- Press, W. H., S. A. Teukolsky, W. T. Vetterling and B. P. Flannery (1995). Numerical Recipes in C, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Rinzel, J. and B. Keller (1973). Travelling wave solutions of a nerve conduction equation. Biophys. J. 13, 1313–1337.
- Sneyd, J. and A. Atri (1993). Curvature dependence of a model for calcium wave propagation. Physica D65, 365–372.
- Sneyd, J., S. Girard and D. Clapham (1993). Calcium wave propagation by calcium induced calcium release:an unusual excitable system. Bull. Math. Biol. 55, 315–344. CrossRef
- Stern, M. D. (1992). Theory of ec coupling in cardiac muscle. Biophys. J. 71, 497–517. CrossRef
- Tsien, R. W. and R. Y. Tsien (1990). Calcium channels, stores, and oscillations. Annu. Rev. Cell Biology 6, 715–760. CrossRef
- Tyson, J. J. and J. P. Keener (1988). Singular perturbation theory of travelling waves in excitable media. Physica D32, 327–361.
- Wier, W. G. (1990). Cytoplasmic calcium in mammalian ventricle:dynamical control by cellular processes. Annu. Rev. Physiol. 52, 467–485. CrossRef
- Wong, A. Y. K. (1981). A model of excitation-contraction coupling of mammalian cardiac muscle. J. Theor. Biol. 90, 37–61. CrossRef
- Wong, A. Y. K., A. Fabiato and J. B. Bassingthwaigthe (1992). Model of calcium-induced calcium release mechanism in cardiac cells. Bull. Math. Biol. 54, 95–116. CrossRef
- Velocity and stability of solitary planar travelling wave solutions of intracellular [Ca]2+
Bulletin of Mathematical Biology
Volume 61, Issue 2 , pp 273-301
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links